New build FG pool 17,900 gal, likely with SWCG. Need assistance on choosing the right unit. Pentair IC40 or SGS Breeze 540?

BrittanyV

Silver Supporter
Dec 7, 2020
Cincinnati, OH
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hi All,
We are new to the forum and just at the front end of our project. Very thankful for this information resource and the dedicated experts that take their time to contribute! Our build should really get underway at the end of February/ beginning of March if the shell is completed by Imagine in a timely manner and weather cooperates here in Northern Kentucky.

After doing my research, much of it on TFP, we are pretty convinced in going the SWCG route. Our build includes a Pentair Intelliflo pump, Intellicenter automation, Raypak gas heater, and Microbrite lights. When I discussed the SWCG with the PB, he suggests the SGS Breeze 540 unit instead of the Pentair IntelliChlor 40. He says they have had great experience with the SGS Breeze units, he admitted that he will do the IC40 if we require it, but they feel more comfortable with the SGS.

I don't find too much info on TFP about the SGS Breeze units. My question is if this is a bad choice and if I should push the PB in the direction of the IC40 knowing that we will have the Pentair automation unit already.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Many thanks in advance!

IC40. It’s power supply will be built in to the Intellicenter if they buy the right one, which you need to insist on. Also you will be able to adjust the SWCG with your phone.

Brittany,

You need to make sure your PB is supplying you with the IntelliCenter that comes with the Internal SWCG power supply and an IC40..

It makes zero sense to have a SWCG that you can't control with your automation.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: wgipe
Thank you for the answers guys! You're fast!

I just did a little further research at lunch. I am generally a fan of having all equipment of the same brand, especially if the components are designed to operate and control as a unit. That being said, I am ignorant about SWCGs.

A positive for the IC40 is the automation link to the IntelliCenter control. I don't understand exactly what information is being exchanged between the IC40 and the automation though. This isn't immediately clear on the Pentair website. Am I correct to assume the following?: On / Off, % output, remaining cell life?, alarms? Is there more?
A concerning big negative for the Pentair unit is a really short warranty compared to SGS or Circupool. 60 days(!?!) for a DIY install or 1 yr for a pro install. That seems really short when Circupool offers 8 years (prorated) and SGS(now CMP) 3 years. The larger number of negative reviews on the Pentair unit than I've seen on the others is also concerning (I don't know how much weight to give such reviews though)

A rep at 'Discount Salt Pool', told me that I would still be able to set the % output via the automation and use the built in flow switch for on/off with the Circupool unit. Any idea if this is generally true?

I'll push for the Pentair if the additional control/ automation is worth it, I just don't want to take a big risk on reliability or quality as a result. Is this something to be concerned about?

Thanks,

Marc & Brittany

A rep at 'Discount Salt Pool', told me that I would still be able to set the % output via the automation and use the built in flow switch for on/off with the Circupool unit. Any idea if this is generally true?
I do not believe the Circupool can be adjusted via Pentair automation. There is no link between the two.
TFP recommends that the Flow Switch be a Secondary Safety Device. Removing power (as the Pentair automation will do with an IC40) is the Primary Safety Device. SWCG can explode if run without water running through them.

Although it’s only 13 reviews on Amazon, that small sample size was not good. F86BC4D4-873B-480C-9FE4-E20352EED34E.png

Thanks again all, still learning about this stuff. We don’t have firsthand experience with pool ownership yet so there are lots of ropes to learn. I do have a solid background with industrial automation though, so I am pretty intrigued by the whole project.

I am getting the message that there shouldn’t be a reason to fear the IC40, and like I mentioned earlier I am a fan of all the equipment playing nice together. I’ll be talking to my PB further about going that route and make sure they source the Intellicenter that includes the power supply for the IC unit.

One more question: should I plan to remove the cell and replace it with a blank out pipe during the winter here in KY? While the pool is closed?

Is there any reason why you wouldn't look at the IC60? It's not that much more, and will work easier than the IC40 to keep your pool chlorinated, resulting in an overall longer life for the cell.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
M&B,

When you buy several Pentair products, then Pentair and your pool builder should be giving you a 3 year warranty on everything.. Later, even if you replace the cell yourself, the warranty is 2 years. Not sure where you got the 60 days or 1 year from.. :scratch:

Thanks,

Jim R.

PoolBrews: I'll check on the IC 60, that might be a better route. I was just thinking IC40 since we are in a temperate climate and it is rated at just over 2X the pool volume. I was just thinking that was the suggested rule of thumb.

mknauss: Thanks for the response on removing the cell. I imagine this kind of stuff is covered in the device manuals which I haven't read yet of course.

Jim R: Regarding the warranty, I thought I read this correctly from the online resources available, but now realize there is some really confusing information out there. Believe me I had no intent on further spreading bad information! Example: The warranty card which one can download on the Pentair website appears to show the 60 day (self install) and 1 yr (pro install) which I quoted earlier but it isn't very clear. I previously saw this information on the "Discount Salt Pool" website in a table comparing various brands. Later, I saw similar complaints on other sites about the supposed 60 day warranty so that made me think it was legit.
Since your second note above I was scratching my head (because you were scrathing your head :)) about why this is confusing so I looked again... This time I found a table further down on the Pentair warranty page (below the warranty card download link) that shows a 2 yr warranty for IntelliChlor units w/o the power center or 3 yrs if bundled with power supply. All I can say is that there seems to be confusing messaging out there about a topic that should be relatively simple and some distributors don't seem to be sharing the info very accurately online.

The quick ending to the story is that I have talked to my PB and he is 100% fine with the IC40 (or IC60 for that matter) if that is what we prefer. I now feel much better about the warranty and am feel more educated about the automation integration thanks to the TFP pros!

Thank you for your patience!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.