New Build - Eastern MA

Thanks for the pics of the liner @JLayer01. I think we're going to love it.

The fence was finished yesterday. I'm not sold on it yet but we're going to live with it for a season. Maybe once we have grass and some landscaping I'll feel better about it.
U2hDXFd.jpg

The liner was installed today and they started filling the pool from our tap water. The liner looks great but unfortunately the water is very brown. The PB said it was iron so they stopped filling, are going to pump it out and fill it with two truckloads of water tomorrow.
iiatp8u.jpg

The PB is coming back on Monday to install the equipment after which I think we're finally done! Our landscaper is also coming next week to do the irrigation, add more loam and hydroseed. I'm hoping we get a couple warm weeks so we have some grass before winter.

Good call on stopping the water! Are you on a well? I would take the water down to a pool store for a iron test. Let us know what it says and we will go from there. I have ways to fix even that or at least make them livable!

I am thinking you will love the fence once everything else is done!

Kim:kim:

Once you 'soften' the fence with shrubbery and trees, it'll look great. I really enjoyed the pictures of your progress (if you scroll down really fast, it's kinda like a time-lapse video :D ).

Good call on stopping the water! Are you on a well? I would take the water down to a pool store for a iron test. Let us know what it says and we will go from there. I have ways to fix even that or at least make them livable!

I am thinking you will love the fence once everything else is done!

Kim:kim:

We're on town water but they were working on the water main in front of our house last week so could be related to that. Hopefully just bad timing and won't be a problem going forward. I will take some for an iron test now so I have something to compare it against in the spring.

- - - Updated - - -

Once you 'soften' the fence with shrubbery and trees, it'll look great. I really enjoyed the pictures of your progress (if you scroll down really fast, it's kinda like a time-lapse video :D ).

The issue I have with the fence is it doesn't give us as much privacy as I was hoping. Our yard is set down from the street so anyone walking on the sidewalk can see into the pool yard. Cars driving by can't see in so it does give us some privacy but not as much as I'd like. I also don't love the look of the transition from vinyl to aluminum. I'm probably nitpicking too much. We'll see how it goes but I may move the vinyl up to the sidewalk next year and just fence in the pool with aluminum.

After a long winter we're finally getting ready to open our new pool next Friday so figured I'd bump this thread with a dumb question. Is there any reason I shouldn't reverse the fence gate so it opens right to left, instead of left to right? As you can see from the bottom rail there is a slight grade so the gate gets stuck about 1/3rd of the way open. I can dig out that area and try to re-grade it but it would be easier to reverse it and have it open down the hill instead. I know there will be holes in the end posts but I was thinking I could plug those with some type of plastic hole plug.

After a long winter we're finally getting ready to open our new pool next Friday so figured I'd bump this thread with a dumb question. Is there any reason I shouldn't reverse the fence gate so it opens right to left, instead of left to right? As you can see from the bottom rail there is a slight grade so the gate gets stuck about 1/3rd of the way open. I can dig out that area and try to re-grade it but it would be easier to reverse it and have it open down the hill instead. I know there will be holes in the end posts but I was thinking I could plug those with some type of plastic hole plug.

Building code demands a gate open away from the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was able to reverse the gate pretty easily. It still opens out, now just opens right to left instead of left to right. Still looking for a solution to plug up the screw holes.

I also tackled the grass around the pool yard this week. We had a landscaper add loam and hydroseed in the fall and it came out terrible. Partly because it was late in the season, partly because the grading was slightly off which caused water to collect in a low spot but mostly because the landscaper was terrible. Here's what it looked like last week:

EFVSvWw.jpg

0YBHGUH.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I removed the thin/crappy grass, re-graded the low area and added 6 yards of fresh loam. I did all this by hand so it took me about two days of back-breaking work over the course of the week. I know loam can sometimes be luck of the draw but I was appalled at how bad the quality was... I dug out hundreds of pieces of broken glass, large rocks, pieces of a fire hose, a horseshoe, a spike and various other pieces of scrap metal. Not exactly the kind of things you want in a pool yard.

uIpA9x5.jpg

OsfKVe8.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Then on Saturday, a friend and I installed 1500 sq feet of sod. Here's the finished result. The seams will disappear over the next few weeks:

HvmP0mW.jpg

4vqv0qp.jpg

jf7x5Ti.jpg

Just updating this thread with some "finished" product pictures now that we have furniture.

View of the whole pool yard from our deck:
zQInukQ.png

View of the pool from our gazebo:
subjdVf.png

The sod came in really nicely. Still can't believe how much a difference it makes vs the mudpit we had in my earlier pics. This is the future cornhole court:
0nPMlEU.png

Walkway into the pool yard (still WIP)
kdKrwcF.png

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.