New Build - Complete

Texasresident

Mar 31, 2021
Dallas
Hi Everyone –
I am new to this forum and first time pool builder . Luckily I bumped on this site when was I looking for some information on internet. We are planning for rectangular 40*18 pool with perimeter overflow spa . Close to signing the contract . Can you please review below specification provided by our PB for equipment

Controller & Automation - OmniLogic w/Smart Device App Capability & Touchscreen
Pool Pump - Vari Spd TriStar 950 4 YR Warranty
Pool Plumbing 2.5 in suction; 2 skimmers; 6 returns; sweeps at manifold
Automatic Pool Cleaner - Hayward Aquanaut 450 Expert Line
Filtration 525 Cartridge filter; Standard skimmers; Dual VGB drains
Sanitation Inline Chlorinator + Ultra UV
Oxidation Del Ozone Eclipse - // Charging Extra for this
Gas Heater H-Series 400 with NATURAL GAS

Thank you

Hi Everyone –
I am new to this forum and first time pool builder . Luckily I bumped on this site when was I looking for some information on internet. We are planning for rectangular 40*18 pool with perimeter overflow spa . Close to signing the contract . Can you please review below specification provided by our PB for equipment

Controller & Automation - OmniLogic w/Smart Device App Capability & Touchscreen
Pool Pump - Vari Spd TriStar 950 4 YR Warranty
Pool Plumbing 2.5 in suction; 2 skimmers; 6 returns; sweeps at manifold
Automatic Pool Cleaner - Hayward Aquanaut 450 Expert Line
Filtration 525 Cartridge filter; Standard skimmers; Dual VGB drains
Sanitation Inline Chlorinator + Ultra UV
Oxidation Del Ozone Eclipse - // Charging Extra for this
Gas Heater H-Series 400 with NATURAL GAS

Thank you
Hi fellow Texan. Welcome to TFP. There are lots of members from the great state of Texas so you can get good local input as well as from the many experts across the USA and the world.
The design is great but I would have concern with the spa setup. When you have a full (or 3/4) perimeter spa overflow there are 2 concerns. 1) Ensure your PB makes it level or you have uneven flow and ensure the pump is set up to push that volume of water over the edge as you expect 2) Cleaning in the small area between the spa exterior wall and the pool wall can be problematic. You will need to hand brush it and also maybe have to vacuum it manually if debris settles in that area.

Other points to consider
Have your 2 skimmers independently plumbed all the way back to the equipment pad for better control of each

Your drawing shows bubblers and water features. Will all of this be run from the same single pool pump? You need to realize it may not be feasible to run the water features if you are in SPA mode. You would need to run a separate pump to achieve that capability. In SPA mode, water suction from your SPA drains and return to your spa jets so no water going to your water feature which flows back to your pool or you would drain your spa over some length of time. Think through what you want to have functional when either in Spa Mode or Pool Mode.

Many have found that a UV system is not great. It still requires chlorine (which is why the PB included the Inline Chlorinator). Since you are starting fresh, it would be highly recommended to go with a Saltwater Chlorine Generator (SWCG) to sanitize your pool. Many PB in Dallas area (as well as in Houston, etc) push back on using a SWCG but it will do a better job and probably little cost difference to your UV system proposed by the PB, especially when he is charging you for Oxidation Del Ozone Eclipse as well.

The Hayward Aquanaut 450 Expert Line cleaner is a suction side cleaner. When it comes to cleaners there are may opinions as to what is best. A suction side cleaner is probably better than a pressure side cleaner (which requires a booster pump) however an electric robot seem to be the easiest to use and set up. Suggest you do some more research, talk to any friends or neighbors that have pools for their feedback.

I have Wet Edge Primera Stone plaster and love it.

Hi fellow Texan. Welcome to TFP. There are lots of members from the great state of Texas so you can get good local input as well as from the many experts across the USA and the world.
The design is great but I would have concern with the spa setup. When you have a full (or 3/4) perimeter spa overflow there are 2 concerns. 1) Ensure your PB makes it level or you have uneven flow and ensure the pump is set up to push that volume of water over the edge as you expect 2) Cleaning in the small area between the spa exterior wall and the pool wall can be problematic. You will need to hand brush it and also maybe have to vacuum it manually if debris settles in that area.

Other points to consider
Have your 2 skimmers independently plumbed all the way back to the equipment pad for better control of each

Your drawing shows bubblers and water features. Will all of this be run from the same single pool pump? You need to realize it may not be feasible to run the water features if you are in SPA mode. You would need to run a separate pump to achieve that capability. In SPA mode, water suction from your SPA drains and return to your spa jets so no water going to your water feature which flows back to your pool or you would drain your spa over some length of time. Think through what you want to have functional when either in Spa Mode or Pool Mode.

Many have found that a UV system is not great. It still requires chlorine (which is why the PB included the Inline Chlorinator). Since you are starting fresh, it would be highly recommended to go with a Saltwater Chlorine Generator (SWCG) to sanitize your pool. Many PB in Dallas area (as well as in Houston, etc) push back on using a SWCG but it will do a better job and probably little cost difference to your UV system proposed by the PB, especially when he is charging you for Oxidation Del Ozone Eclipse as well.

The Hayward Aquanaut 450 Expert Line cleaner is a suction side cleaner. When it comes to cleaners there are may opinions as to what is best. A suction side cleaner is probably better than a pressure side cleaner (which requires a booster pump) however an electric robot seem to be the easiest to use and set up. Suggest you do some more research, talk to any friends or neighbors that have pools for their feedback.

I have Wet Edge Primera Stone plaster and love it.
Thank you so much for feedback !! I was told spa and water features have separate pumps .
I will read about suction cleaners and newer robot more to get pros/cons
Which plaster do you have from primera line . We are going with sapphire treasure but can change it as construction has not started . Can you please share picture of your pool for color . Again thank you so much !!!

Hi All - some progress on design , looking for recommendations on couple of design items -
#1. Entry steps - do you prefer steps all the way down from tanning ledge or just half way so you get more length for swimming - both options attached in picture
#2.The recessed wall towards back is currently 24 inches - I have seen design where it’s taller to have better water descent fall . What to do you suggest for that central wall height
#3.is the bench below that sheer water descent good idea or it won’t be used . PB is charging ~1k for that so wanted to make sure
#4.I browsed through site and got some ideas like depth of pool to start with 4’feet , light at electrical pad , connections for cleaning robot etc . Anything else you recommend that you would done ...

Attachments

• 7CC97452-5A0D-41A3-A3B0-D33B342B7212.jpeg
    7CC97452-5A0D-41A3-A3B0-D33B342B7212.jpeg
    57.2 KB · Views: 122
  • 3C39C228-DA7C-4C3F-9D7A-07140EDB2B1A.jpeg
    3C39C228-DA7C-4C3F-9D7A-07140EDB2B1A.jpeg
    157.9 KB · Views: 121
#1. Entry steps - do you prefer steps all the way down from tanning ledge or just half way so you get more length for swimming - both options attached in picture
Of the 2 options you show I would prefer the steps all the way across simply because it makes it easy to always step down.
I do have a 3rd option - make the steps narrower (like only 1/3 of the width of the tanning ledge and put them closest to the spa) and then you have 2/3 the distance for a swimming lane. If you are not concerned about kids stepping off into the deeper water (of the swim lane) then this maximizes that swim area.
#3.is the bench below that sheer water descent good idea or it won’t be used . PB is charging ~1k for that so wanted to make sure
I prefer the seat under the water descent. I have a seat under our waterfall and that is very refreshing to sit under. A water descent is a little different but still could be nice. It is also a good landing point for children learning to swim.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Of the 2 options you show I would prefer the steps all the way across simply because it makes it easy to always step down.
I do have a 3rd option - make the steps narrower (like only 1/3 of the width of the tanning ledge and put them closest to the spa) and then you have 2/3 the distance for a swimming lane. If you are not concerned about kids stepping off into the deeper water (of the swim lane) then this maximizes that swim area.

I prefer the seat under the water descent. I have a seat under our waterfall and that is very refreshing to sit under. A water descent is a little different but still could be nice. It is also a good landing point for children learning to swim.
Ok I think I got it . So if tanning ledge is 18 feet , have steps of 6 feet leaving 12 feet of tanning ledge for chairs

Reactions: HermanTX
Thank you ! Some PB quoted silver more than ivory others have same price for both ,I was not if sure price depends on color ..
I think price depends on "demand" for the builders...for other builders we met with, silver was more. It can also be the quality of the silver travertine...so you can ask each builder you are meeting with to see a sample of the silver and/or ivory they are using.

Reactions: Texasresident
Hi All ,
We we are finally scheduled for dig next week so wanted to finalize construction details . Can you please review LED position from builder indicated by red arrow . I am good with all except one near the tanning ledge .. looking for feedback

Attachments

• DA69F465-9AA6-401E-993F-73DC73FC6170.png
    DA69F465-9AA6-401E-993F-73DC73FC6170.png
    20.4 KB · Views: 45
Assuming your patio and house is on same side as spa so all lights except one point away. I would move that one on left more onto the shelf if you have no other light on the shelf. I have seen similar in a friends pool and it looked nice with light splashed across the shelf.

I drew up your layout in Pool studio to give you an idea what the lights will look like based on your picture.. That one light you are concerned about will light that the top step but but may not shine on much more on that side of pool

Attachments

• Pool Lights_002.jpg
    Pool Lights_002.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 55
I drew up your layout in Pool studio to give you an idea what the lights will look like based on your picture.. That one light you are concerned about will light that the top step but but may not shine on much more on that side of pool
wow !! You are providing real time visuals on how things will look , thank you !
I can change it to how Herman suggested on ledge , last I remember he said it be difficult to change light on ledge as it will be in water ..

Reactions: joel98z
review this great guide -

Plus Pentair told me to shoot for 4 lumens per sq ft. So if your pool's surface area is 500sqft then you need 2000 lumens of light. The pentair color microbrites are 500lumens. Don't know about the other brands... but the pentair table is floating around here on the forum.

Good luck and lucky you to get an unsolicited real time render of your lighting plans! This place never ceases to amaze me with the people here will to spend time helping others!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.