scoopertx

Aug 30, 2020
Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
This will be our first time owning/building a pool so would love any feedback from the forum on the equipment for our build. The shed in the picture will actually be a 14'x20' pool house that we are doing separately from the pool construction. Additionally, we will be doing lots of landscaping behind the rock wall to fill up the area between the rock and the fence line.

I did notice that the bubbler was missed from the sun ledge so will be adding one of those. Also, there is a step at the bottom of the spa...anyone else have that or think it is necessary?

I've really learned a lot from this site over the past few months and so glad another member turned me onto it. Let me know any comments/suggestions!
Thanks all!

Attachments

• Build drawing.pdf
    3.7 MB · Views: 84
Love your design. I also built a circular spa that cascades down into the pool. There is not a ton of room for everyone's feet if it fills up with people. Ovals and horseshoe shapes tend to solve that problem. It's a minor nit - we rarely have more than 4 people in our spa.

The piece of equipment that I would highly recommend you save your money on is the Ozone generator.
I installed one when I built my pool. The UV light went out in it and I didn't even notice - haven't used it for many years - was a waste of money.

Hi fellow Texan. Welcome to pool ownership.
Overall design looks great. I have a rock waterfall - not as big as yours - but enjoy it a lot.
I have mine set up as an independent circulation system with its own pump which appears to be how they have yours setup as I see a waterfeature pump. Suction is through side drains (looks like a main drain but on side of pool so no debris is picked up) to its own pump then a return to the waterfall. I can control it regardless if pool pump is on or off.
I see that you have 2 skimmers which is great. Suggest that you have those run as independent lines all the way back to the equipment pad. So you have 4 lines on suction - 1 is main drain, 2 - one for each skimmer and 1 for the spa drain. Have a valve on each skimmer suction so you can control (balance) the suction from each.
Great that you have all Pentair equipment.
I agree with @CombatYoga . Have you considered a proper saltwater chlorine generator? Therefore the 320 Inline chlorinator can be removed as well and no need to use pucks.

Love your design. I also built a circular spa that cascades down into the pool. There is not a ton of room for everyone's feet if it fills up with people. Ovals and horseshoe shapes tend to solve that problem. It's a minor nit - we rarely have more than 4 people in our spa.

The piece of equipment that I would highly recommend you save your money on is the Ozone generator.
I installed one when I built my pool. The UV light went out in it and I didn't even notice - haven't used it for many years - was a waste of money.
I will look into the Ozone generator issue. Thanks for the suggestions!

Hi fellow Texan. Welcome to pool ownership.
Overall design looks great. I have a rock waterfall - not as big as yours - but enjoy it a lot.
I have mine set up as an independent circulation system with its own pump which appears to be how they have yours setup as I see a waterfeature pump. Suction is through side drains (looks like a main drain but on side of pool so no debris is picked up) to its own pump then a return to the waterfall. I can control it regardless if pool pump is on or off.
I see that you have 2 skimmers which is great. Suggest that you have those run as independent lines all the way back to the equipment pad. So you have 4 lines on suction - 1 is main drain, 2 - one for each skimmer and 1 for the spa drain. Have a valve on each skimmer suction so you can control (balance) the suction from each.
Great that you have all Pentair equipment.
I agree with @CombatYoga . Have you considered a proper saltwater chlorine generator? Therefore the 320 Inline chlorinator can be removed as well and no need to use pucks.
Thanks for the info on the suction lines. We will definitely ask for the independent lines.
I looked at the saltwater chlorine generator option but read that may cause issues with the moss rock over time. Have you had any probems?

Love the design! The only thing I would look at is the 3' depth. You cannot do a full crawl stroke. You want at least 3'5" if not 4'. This will also lessen the slope to the deep end.

Kim:kim:
Thanks, Kim!
I think you are right and we will go with 3'6". I see the section through the pool shows a steady slope to the deep end but don't most pools have a relatively level shallow end and then a steeper slope into the deep end? Maybe our pool doesn't have the length to do that but I'm going to ask.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.