New Build - Austin, Texas - Slide Video

Well the last few days have been productive. They have started the coping, tile, and deck work. They fixed the broken bonding wire with the type of bolt that @JamesW suggested (thanks James!)

So far I haven't noticed anything glaringly wrong that won't be fixed as things get fine tuned. We are very happy with how the tile turned out.

2020-10-10 18.49.14.jpg2020-10-12 17.54.57.jpg2020-10-12 17.59.22.jpg2020-10-12 17.58.19.jpg

Deck was mostly finished Thursday and the inspection was failed on Friday. They needed to connect the bonding wire from the deck to the bonding wire in the gunite in a 4th place and only 3 were already available, so they had to chip out a chunk of gunite to be able to attach to a fourth point. Is there anything specific I should be watching for when the repair the giant hole that they chippeed into the gunite? The hole is below the water line on the outside of the back wall of the pool.

2020-10-17 12.00.34.jpg2020-10-17 12.00.28.jpg

Deck was mostly finished Thursday and the inspection was failed on Friday. They needed to connect the bonding wire from the deck to the bonding wire in the gunite in a 4th place and only 3 were already available, so they had to chip out a chunk of gunite to be able to attach to a fourth point. Is there anything specific I should be watching for when the repair the giant hole that they chippeed into the gunite? The hole is below the water line on the outside of the back wall of the pool.

View attachment 166125View attachment 166126
Just curious. is this 4th bonding spot a requirement that the PB did not know or did he simply forget?
He should provide you a process as to how he will repair this. It should be straight forward but the key will be to maintain the strength of that section. Waterproofing with the plaster should not be an issue as it appears you have several inches of gunite from the rebar to the pool surface where the plaster will be applied.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just curious. is this 4th bonding spot a requirement that the PB did not know or did he simply forget?
He should provide you a process as to how he will repair this. It should be straight forward but the key will be to maintain the strength of that section. Waterproofing with the plaster should not be an issue as it appears you have several inches of gunite from the rebar to the pool surface where the plaster will be applied.

It appears to have been an oversight by the plumbers who ran the bonding wire (my best guess). When I spoke to the guy who chipped this out, he said it seems to happen all the time... which isn't exactly reassuring? Seems like the plumber isn't familiar with the requirements of the city.

Haven't gotten to speak to the PB about it yet to see what his plan is for the repair. Was hoping to have some ammunition for that conversation in case it sounds like he is going to try to not fix it properly. Agreed it doesn't look like plaster will be a problem, and agreed maintaining the strength in that section seems like the biggest risk.

They should fill in that hole and put something up to hold the fill in until it hardens. The rebar being there will really help it "connect" to the rest of the shell and help keep it there..

What will you be putting on that wall?

They should fill in that hole and put something up to hold the fill in until it hardens. The rebar being there will really help it "connect" to the rest of the shell and help keep it there..

What will you be putting on that wall?

That wall faces the back side of the property, so we were just going to have it covered with that material that dresses up concrete a bit (not sure the name of the material, it is just a cheap concrete-ish finish).

The deck was poured on Monday. I think that they generally did a pretty good job with it. It is going to be topped with travertine so they didn't try to get a nice clean finish in all places of it.

The little guy liked walking on the mock up of the travertine and the dog does not seem pleased with all of these changes to her yard.

2020-10-21 12.38.36.jpg
2020-10-21 12.38.48.jpg2020-10-21 17.57.12.jpg2020-10-21 12.36.40.jpg2020-10-21 12.36.57.jpg2020-10-21 12.37.00.jpg2020-10-21 12.37.38.jpg2020-10-20 17.29.59.jpg

• Love
Reactions: colleenbevans

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.