New Build (Already in Progress) Mt. Airy, Maryland

I didn't think it was going to be hard but it was and you wouldn't believe how sore I am today, lol!

Unfortunately ours has no compensation listed for running over time. I kind of knew we would - with no compensation there is no real incentive for them to rush. Definitely ask for a few freebies. It can’t hurt. If you phrase it properly they might not be able to say no. My boys were the same. They watched the warm weather slip away as the pool got further behind. I felt so bad for them and now we are in the middle of winter. Hang in there. It will get done but I honestly feel your frustration. It is all consuming.

Well said. This forum is the only thing keeping me sane. Thanks for all the support :D

Well a small miracle has happened...after almost 2 MORE weeks of coming home to nothing I came home yesterday to a graded back yard. Hallelujah!

And I guess that was good timing because I spent another 4 or 5 hours over the weekend pulling out the millions billions of weeds that had sprouted next to the pile of dirt and by the waterfall and everywhere else they had invaded since we had no grass. I also moved all their leftover PVC piping, tossed all the pallets into the front, and hauled about 5 five gallon buckets of rocks to the debris pile. The yard looked so much better after I did all that work for the PB!

And now it looks even better because they also removed that GIANT pile of debris, pallets and leftover PVC! It is starting to look like we are getting our yard back!

The icing on the cake (not sure I can really go that far, but...) is that there are also a few industrial sized bags of grass seed and some bales of straw sitting in my front yard. I didn't pay for seed and straw but seriously, it is the very least they can do after this disaster of a build/schedule!

Still no equipment installed but now I have a skidsteer in my yard that I can hold hostage if need be. I feel better knowing that they have a reason to come back!

Well a small miracle has happened...after almost 2 MORE weeks of coming home to nothing I came home yesterday to a graded back yard. Hallelujah!

And I guess that was good timing because I spent another 4 or 5 hours over the weekend pulling out the millions billions of weeds that had sprouted next to the pile of dirt and by the waterfall and everywhere else they had invaded since we had no grass. I also moved all their leftover PVC piping, tossed all the pallets into the front, and hauled about 5 five gallon buckets of rocks to the debris pile. The yard looked so much better after I did all that work for the PB!

And now it looks even better because they also removed that GIANT pile of debris, pallets and leftover PVC! It is starting to look like we are getting our yard back!

The icing on the cake (not sure I can really go that far, but...) is that there are also a few industrial sized bags of grass seed and some bales of straw sitting in my front yard. I didn't pay for seed and straw but seriously, it is the very least they can do after this disaster of a build/schedule!

Still no equipment installed but now I have a skidsteer in my yard that I can hold hostage if need be. I feel better knowing that they have a reason to come back!

PICS!!!

I new here on the forum but I think all the builders are the same. Going through the similar process (fiberglass pool) right now myself.. Promises/delays, promises/delays.. All they good on selling you the pool. That's about it. Once you sign the contract, putting down some deposit and start making payments they lose interest in us as a customers.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I new here on the forum but I think all the builders are the same. Going through the similar process (fiberglass pool) right now myself.. Promises/delays, promises/delays.. All they good on selling you the pool. That's about it. Once you sign the contract, putting down some deposit and start making payments they lose interest in us as a customers.

We are very happy with our pool builder. There are more good PBs than bad out There. But, it definitely pays to shop around and check references.

We kind of started little late (mid-may) when my wife realize that she wants the pool this summer. So maybe it's partially our fault. But considering that fiberglass pool goes in the ground in one day - 2 month later we don't even have gas pipe run from the house to the heater.
Agree with you on the references (I should do a little more research) but definately will not recommend this PB to anyone. Despite being a relatively big in NJ and being in business since 1955.

Just read thru the whole post and love the pool! Also, I typically scan thru posts to see the pics, so when I came up on your post (from last month) about the issue you had with the tiles on the step....I came to the pic first and saw you mention a problem and I, for the life of me, could not see an issue, so I had to go back up and actually read the posts to find out what the problem was. I know you've moved on from that now, but I still wanted to point out that I don't think anyone is going to notice a thing. It all looks beautiful to me. Can't wait to see it finished!

We are very happy with our pool builder. There are more good PBs than bad out There. But, it definitely pays to shop around and check references.

I think you are both right! Had I also done more research maybe I could have found someone better. Sadly, at least in the mid atlantic region, we don't have as many to choose from as you might in Texas. I struggled to find 5 builders to meet with. Oh well, live and learn and we are almost at the end anyway.

@hagani, the waterfall was done by a guy closer to your neck of the woods. He actually gave me the name of the PB that we're using.

Just read thru the whole post and love the pool! Also, I typically scan thru posts to see the pics, so when I came up on your post (from last month) about the issue you had with the tiles on the step....I came to the pic first and saw you mention a problem and I, for the life of me, could not see an issue, so I had to go back up and actually read the posts to find out what the problem was. I know you've moved on from that now, but I still wanted to point out that I don't think anyone is going to notice a thing. It all looks beautiful to me. Can't wait to see it finished!

Thank you Scout! I have moved on because let's face it, life is too short and I know in matter of time, none of the headaches of this build will matter any more. But more confirmation that 'the tile issue' really isn't going to be that noticeable is awesome! Thanks for taking the time to read through :)

So apparently my hostage escaped yesterday. I didn't get pictures of the dirt fast enough and so now they are of straw, haha.

I am glad they did this, but the timing is a little off. You would think they would do this after the finish is done. I wonder if it will get ruined when they come in to do that. Also, we had torrential rain in the form of storms last night. Hopefully all the seed didn't get washed away. I know the straw is supposed to help keep it in place but not sure how much it can withstand in terms of storms. I guess we'll find out in a few weeks if anything sprouts.

The no equipment equipment pad:

SAM_1939.jpg

Looking from our driveway into the front yard. It doesn't look that bad from here.

SAM_1947.jpg

But then you see if from the front of the house:

SAM_1948.jpg

From the side looking into the back yard:

SAM_1949.jpg

And finally, all of it:

SAM_1954.jpg

That looks great. Not much more left to go.

I have to say, this is the first time I've seen on here (in my short time) a build where the equipment was done so late. I can't believe they took the time to cap it all off like that. They capped some of mine too but the equipment was done with the plumbing and left pressurized. It looks like yours was pressurized without equipment. Crazy.

Thanks Neemer.

Capt - well their reasoning (which I get, up to a point) is that my warranty starts the day the equipment is installed so they put it in closer to the finish so that the customer gets the maximum time under warranty. Oh and the plumbing has been there since February...all of that was put in a short time after the dig. So it's been capped since then.

The problem is that these guys are just horrible project managers. I had to call PB yesterday because of course with a plaster date of 7/23 (which I doubt will happen now) I need to have the equipment and the electric has to be run to the pad still. So I wanted to find out what the heck was going on and get a schedule for that. Also, I have 3 trim tiles that came loose that need to be repaired and have to deal with getting water ordered.

Ok, so PB doesn't answer and I leave a detailed message. He texts me a few minutes later saying that he will call me. He calls me. He hasn't listened to my message yet. I ask about the equipment and he starts going on about the basketball hoop and stair rail. I finally interject and tell him that I'm talking about my pumps, filter and salt cell. He says "you don't have those yet?". Then he says, get ready for this, "you have water in your pool, right". What!!!!????

Then of course I explain that "NO, I don't! That is supposed to happen on Monday!". Then he backtracks and tells me that he just got back from being out of the country (how nice for him) and that he needs to check with his business partner and figure out where everything stands.

I was so mad. So then a few minutes later, the other PB partner texts me and says that my equipment will be delivered on Friday. I reply telling him how confused I am! He says not to worry. Well I'm worried all right. Even if the equipment comes Friday, nobody has told me to be there so to me that means no electrician will be coming which in turn means that no finish is going in on Monday.

O.M.G. You just can't even make this stuff like this up.

But now it makes sense that the grading and seeding was done on Monday-Tuesday...that moron thinks we're done! Now I am sure a lot of that will be ruined when the finishers come. And to add insult to injury, this is the weather forecast for next week:

WU.JPG

The only good news out of this is that PB told me they will "handle" the water, which I assume means they will also pay for it. Because I don't have any intention of doing that!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.