New Austin Build - We have a Pool!

jdogbyo

Apr 16, 2020
Austin, Texas
Hi everyone,

First of all, prices in Austin for pools are crazy! I thought COVID-19 might impact the price (in a good way) but i have not seen that yet. That being said My wife and I will be building our first pool (hopefully) in the near future and need some feedback on design. It is approximately 16,500 gallons, 3.5-6ft, 31 ft x 21 ft, 2 skimmers. They will be removing appx 600 sqft of patio and installing new decking which will tie in to the patio at the back of the house.

Our yard is huge so space is not a concern. We do have a ton of trees though so leaves, acorns and pollen balls will be a concern. I have been reading a lot about SWG but am unsure of which way to go. The PB would include SWG if I want but is going to charge more for it. I would love some feedback on the design and also on the equipment listed below. Thank you in advance! BTW, the planter that is show right next to the pool will be decking. The rendering is not updated yet.

Pool & Spa Filter Pump: Energy Efficiency & Variable-Speed
Jandy Pro | VS Series pump | General Filter pump
epump 2.7 HP

Pool & Spa Filter:
Zodiac + Jandy Pro | CL Cartridge Filter | (Model CL460)

Water Feature Booster Pumps:
Jandy Pro | FloPro Series pumps | Water feature pump

Pool & Spa Control System:
Jandy Pro | AquaLink 2.0 | SmartPhone Control System

Pool & Spa Sanitation:
Jandy Pro | Nature 2 Fusion Chlorine Tablet Feeder + Nature Minerals System

Pool & Spa Gas Heater:
Jandy Pro JXI 400K Digital Pool & Spa Natural Gas Heater

Pool & Spa LED Lighting:
Jandy Pro 24W HydroCool Nicheless LED Lighting | Pool & Spa

Pool Cleaner:
Jandy Pro | Robotic Pool Cleaner | Polaris 9650 iQ

PD1.jpg

PD2.jpg

Last edited:
Pool & Spa Sanitation:

The + Nature Minerals System part of the Nature 2 is not recommended. It adds unneeded minerals to your pool that can lead to staining over time. Read Nature2 Fusion - Further Reading

If you want to use a tablet chlorinator you can install a simpler tablet feeder. Even though we don't recommend using tablets in your area full time. Each tablet adds CYA that accumulates in your pool and eventually your CYA level will get to be unmanageable. The only way to lower CYA is by draining the pool.

You can get the Nature2 Fusion SOFT which is a SWG + minerals and never install the minerals cartridge.

I suggest you read...

The + Nature Minerals System part of the Nature 2 is not recommended. It adds unneeded minerals to your pool that can lead to staining over time. Read Nature2 Fusion - Further Reading

If you want to use a tablet chlorinator you can install a simpler tablet feeder. Even though we don't recommend using tablets in your area full time. Each tablet adds CYA that accumulates in your pool and eventually your CYA level will get to be unmanageable. The only way to lower CYA is by draining the pool.

You can get the Nature2 Fusion SOFT which is a SWG + minerals and never install the minerals cartridge.

I suggest you read...

Thank you for the information. In terms of price, how much extra should i plan to spend to have the Fusion SOFT in place of the Nature 2? Or have the Fusion Soft and a simple tablet feeder which can be used as well, if needed?

There is no reason for a tablet feeder. For occasional use of tablets you put them in a tablet floater in your pool.

I don't know what the price difference is.

You want a SWG that is at least 2X your pool volume. You want a Jandy 1400 cell that is for up to 40,000 gallons.

I live in the Austin area and have a large pool. I didn't build it but its about 60k gal. I have a couple suggestions. Be sure there is an Auto Fill. Our summers are hot and water evaporates quickly and this will avoid needing to throw a hose in the pool and makes sure you only add what you need. Otherwise you forget and overfill which in Austin will cost $$ for the extra water.
If I were to build I would make it a rectangle and include an electric cover. It will make it usable year round without having to heat it much and will keep all the leaves and pollen from our thousands of oak and cedar trees from inundating your pool. It will also save you lots of $$ on chemicals. One more suggestion would be a Salt water pool. You avoid having to add chlorine and it makes your skin not dry out.
With the Jandy automation system be sure to include a wired programming station in your house or on the patio area if possible. You will also want a spa controller by the spa. The wired controller will be appreciated when someone visits and doesn't have the app to control the pool such as the house sitter or maintenance people.

There is no reason for a tablet feeder. For occasional use of tablets you put them in a tablet floater in your pool.

You want a SWG that is at least 2X your pool volume. You want a Jandy 1400 cell that is for up to 40,000 gallons.

Perfect, thank you for clarifying. From what I can tell this really shouldn't be more expensive.
I live in the Austin area and have a large pool. I didn't build it but its about 60k gal. I have a couple suggestions. Be sure there is an Auto Fill. Our summers are hot and water evaporates quickly and this will avoid needing to throw a hose in the pool and makes sure you only add what you need. Otherwise you forget and overfill which in Austin will cost $$ for the extra water.
If I were to build I would make it a rectangle and include an electric cover. It will make it usable year round without having to heat it much and will keep all the leaves and pollen from our thousands of oak and cedar trees from inundating your pool. It will also save you lots of $$ on chemicals. One more suggestion would be a Salt water pool. You avoid having to add chlorine and it makes your skin not dry out.
With the Jandy automation system be sure to include a wired programming station in your house or on the patio area if possible. You will also want a spa controller by the spa. The wired controller will be appreciated when someone visits and doesn't have the app to control the pool such as the house sitter or maintenance people.
Good feedback, unfortunately, we really like the free form design more than the rectangular designs. I agree having an automatic cover would be ideal but dont think we can do it here. I think we are going with the salt option.

PB is recommending the Jandy TruClear® Saltwater Chlorinator. This model goes up to 35,000 gallons. Anyone have any feedback?

Additionally, he is saying I will need to seal the flagstone coping every year or it is going to flake off into the pool. How much of a concern is the SWG and corrosion of materials around the pool?

We are hearing about more reliability problems with the new TruClear model then with the proven AquaPure system.

@Jimrahbe can you give your local perspective about SWG, and flagstone, and Texas?

I'm sure there are different grades of flagstone, but in all of the flagstone patios I have seen, they all have had some degree of flaking. I would be hesitant to put that near your pool, especially on a vertical surface near the water where the flakes would go into the pool.

J,

Flagstone flakes period.. It does so if you have a SWG or not, or if you seal it or not.. I have rent house pool that has flagstone and I would never use it again.

We redid the pool and used flagstone coping. The flagstone started flaking within weeks.. About 50% of the stones flake and the other 50% do not. The good stones and bad stones are right next to each other.. About two years later we switched to saltwater... That was about 7 years ago and the bad stones are still bad and the good stones still good.. It is not the salt or the water.. It is the type of stone.

The pool at my house has man-made coping of some type.. I assume concrete or similar material.. I like it much better.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
J,

Flagstone flakes period.. It does so if you have a SWG or not, or if you seal it or not.. I have rent house pool that has flagstone and I would never use it again.

We redid the pool and used flagstone coping. The flagstone started flaking within weeks.. About 50% of the stones flake and the other 50% do not. The good stones and bad stones are right next to each other.. About two years later we switched to saltwater... That was about 7 years ago and the bad stones are still bad and the good stones still good.. It is not the salt or the water.. It is the type of stone.

The pool at my house has man-made coping of some type.. I assume concrete or similar material.. I like it much better.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks, Jim. Knowing this, I think we are leaning more towards a Travertine coping and split face stone for the vertical. Curious if I should be looking at adding a chiller as well? I don't want to be swimming in 90+ water in the summer, ugh. I have a natural gas line and that will be powering the heater so would need a standalone chilling unit. Are these worth it?

Well, we officially are buying a pool! We signed the contract yesterday. Plans should be finalized tomorrow and them permits submitted on Tuesday. PB thinks he can be digging by next Saturday! I am hoping for good weather and a quick build! The updated rendering with different coping and stone is shown below.

Three open items I am considering:
- SWG - am definitely going to add this in. Only question is Truclear vs Aquapure?
- Coping material. I am leaning towards the travertine with some sort of stack stone for the vertical surfaces vs the flagstone as shown in the rendering. Probably will do a slightly darker tone than shown.
- Should I add a chiller to this setup? Adding now vs adding later?

New Stone.jpg

Last edited:
SWEET!!! Fun times ahead!!

Coping material. I am leaning towards the travertine
Travertine for sure!! The flagstone is very pretty but it is hard to find any that does not flake.

Should I add a chiller to this setup? Adding now vs adding later?
Ask your wallet what it thinks??? Does it need more time to get fat or can it handle it now? I WOULD plumb and wire for it NOW even if you don't buy it now.

Kim:kim:

Hi everyone,

First of all, prices in Austin for pools are crazy! I thought COVID-19 might impact the price (in a good way) but i have not seen that yet. That being said My wife and I will be building our first pool (hopefully) in the near future and need some feedback on design. It is approximately 16,500 gallons, 3.5-6ft, 31 ft x 21 ft, 2 skimmers. They will be removing appx 600 sqft of patio and installing new decking which will tie in to the patio at the back of the house.

Our yard is huge so space is not a concern. We do have a ton of trees though so leaves, acorns and pollen balls will be a concern. I have been reading a lot about SWG but am unsure of which way to go. The PB would include SWG if I want but is going to charge more for it. I would love some feedback on the design and also on the equipment listed below. Thank you in advance! BTW, the planter that is show right next to the pool will be decking. The rendering is not updated yet.

Pool & Spa Filter Pump: Energy Efficiency & Variable-Speed
Jandy Pro | VS Series pump | General Filter pump
epump 2.7 HP

Pool & Spa Filter:
Zodiac + Jandy Pro | CL Cartridge Filter | (Model CL460)

Water Feature Booster Pumps:
Jandy Pro | FloPro Series pumps | Water feature pump

Pool & Spa Control System:
Jandy Pro | AquaLink 2.0 | SmartPhone Control System

Pool & Spa Sanitation:

Pool & Spa Gas Heater:
Jandy Pro JXI 400K Digital Pool & Spa Natural Gas Heater

Pool & Spa LED Lighting:
Jandy Pro 24W HydroCool Nicheless LED Lighting | Pool & Spa

Pool Cleaner:
Jandy Pro | Robotic Pool Cleaner | Polaris 9650 iQ

View attachment 132993

View attachment 132994

Anyone have any experience with this pool chiller? I will have a gas heater so am looking at stand alone models of chillers but am wondering what is good.

Glacier Ice Block Residential Pool Cooler | 30 GPM 20,000 Gallons | GPC-25

Since your in the design phase you can have the PB quote you aeration syetem that does evaporative cool over night. I can drop mine 5 to 7 degrees over night. Mine is consider crud by some standards, it is simply some sprinkler mist heads on a 3/4 HP pump

Reactions: kimkats

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.