New Austin Build - Gunite time!

jdogbyo

Apr 16, 2020
Austin, Texas
Gunite! It looks pretty good to me except there is a small piece of the rebar wire poking through next to one of the returns. It looks like it goes back a couple inches where there is no gunite around it. Is that going to be a problem? What should I do about it?

Also, What is the purpose of not building up the gunite around the pipes? I’ll get a better picture tomorrow. Thanks all

Attachments

kimkats

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
SWEET!!! That looks great! Have you started bonding with it yet? aka watering it to help slow down the curing.

It is time for your set of links! The first set is all about what to do and ask about to get a great plaster job. The second set is all about how to care for your pool after you get the plaster.

Plaster links:
Ten Guidelines for Quality Pool Plaster Best one of all
All Plaster Finishes Should Last 20 Years
Not All Color Pigments are Good for Pools How to pick a good color for plaster.
A Plastering 'Watch List' | Professional Watershaping | Watershapes
Trouble Free Pool
Trouble Free Pool

Pool care links:
Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule
Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
Trouble Free Pool
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Now is also a good time to ask what test kit your PB will be providing so we can fill in any holes.

Not building up around the pipes is so there is room for the fittings like the return eyeballs and such.

That piece of rebar needs to be dug out AND the area patched. Give your PB a call and ask someone to come out to take care of it so it cures along with the rest of the shell.

Kim:kim:

jdogbyo

Apr 16, 2020
Austin, Texas
I’ve been watering 3x a day now since it is 90+ and in direct sunlight. Hopefully, they get the waterline tile and coping in without much delay because it is supposed to rain off and on this week

DB-Cooper

Jun 18, 2019
Austin, TX
I’ve been watering 3x a day now since it is 90+ and in direct sunlight. Hopefully, they get the waterline tile and coping in without much delay because it is supposed to rain off and on this week
Weather forecast is improving substantially. It went from 80+% rain all week to <20%. Fingers crossed for you.

jdogbyo

Apr 16, 2020
Austin, Texas
Weather forecast is improving substantially. It went from 80+% rain all week to <20%. Fingers crossed for you.
Thanks! Of course the weather held today and the PB did not show up like they said they would. I swear this is what infuriates me most about this process. The lack of communication and not doing what they say they are going to do is maddening!!! I cannot stand this type of behavior.

I think I am going to add up the number of hours I have been doing the PMs job for them and issue them a change order at the end of the project for my time...

Reactions: kimkats

jdogbyo

Apr 16, 2020
Austin, Texas
It seems like overall it’s progressing very fast. Many of my friends pools in Austin took 4 months or more!
Yikes! 4 months?!?? I’d go insane, haha. Like I said, I think what frustrates me is the lack of communication and not doing what they say. I think I am just more frustrated today because I stayed home from work and they didn’t show.

I have to initiate the request for updates and drive the schedule. I have had to baby sit every step of the process so far because there is no project manager or other PB rep onsite. There have been several mistakes that I have caught and rectified before they became a lot more expensive and required a lot more time to repair. I knew coming in that it would be stressful, I just didn’t realize that it would be another job, especially for the price being paid.

Sorry for the rant. Im going to try and stay positive and be thankful that we are track to finish well ahead of the 4 month timeframe being seen by some others! Thanks all

DB-Cooper

Jun 18, 2019
Austin, TX
Yikes! 4 months?!?? I’d go insane, haha. Like I said, I think what frustrates me is the lack of communication and not doing what they say. I think I am just more frustrated today because I stayed home from work and they didn’t show.

I have to initiate the request for updates and drive the schedule. I have had to baby sit every step of the process so far because there is no project manager or other PB rep onsite. There have been several mistakes that I have caught and rectified before they became a lot more expensive and required a lot more time to repair. I knew coming in that it would be stressful, I just didn’t realize that it would be another job, especially for the price being paid.

Sorry for the rant. Im going to try and stay positive and be thankful that we are track to finish well ahead of the 4 month timeframe being seen by some others! Thanks all
4 months is quite fast to be honest. Just hang in there, but this is normal in this industry.

Funkatation

Apr 22, 2020
Austin
I am a bit behind yours, excavation was done last week. PM has been out 3 times I think? He's juggling about 15-20 pools, it feels like he probably spends more time driving than at the sites. I've only had a couple of small issues I've had to point out so far and a quick phone call fixed it. He's been very good about returning phone calls. They also stressed up front that not every day someone would be there. I have been trying to not be frustrated either, its hard staring at a hole in the ground!