New Aquabright Build Near Springtown, TX

Mar 16, 2017
Fort Worth, Texas
Hello all,

A little background first. My elderly parents are building their dream home on 2 acres in the country. Mom asked me to do the research and help her find a pool builder and to help choose the equipment. After a lot of research and several bids, we have more or less settled on Puryear Pools in Fort Worth (anybody with direct experience is welcome to PM me their experience with Puryear). The contract will likely be signed on the first of May with a completion in early to mid August (depending on the house construction of course). Anywho, here are the specs along with some pictures of the proposed design. Would love some feedback from everyone.

721 sf, 22ft wide by 40 ft long 3.5'/5'/8ft
2 10 ft benches, 1 large tanning ledge
31,000 gallons
Jandy equipment - 2.0 HP E-Pump, 60 sqFt DE filter, nature2 fusion chlorine (will not be refilling nature cartridges, will only be used for chlorine), Aqualink w/ PDA P4, 1 LED pool light, JXI260k BTU propane heater
Polaris 3900 Pool Cleaner w/ PB4-60 booster pump
7' Typhoon - Sandstone slide
8' Salt Pool diving board
Autofill unit
2 skimmers, 5 returns, 2 drains.
AquaBright - Pacific Blue color
Oklahoma flagstone coping
Broom concrete decing (597 sqFt)
Will be filled with well water

Thanks,

Attachments

• Milligan_005.jpg
    Milligan_005.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 717
  • Milligan_006.jpg
    Milligan_006.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 699
  • Milligan_007.jpg
    Milligan_007.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 692
  • Milligan_008.jpg
    Milligan_008.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 674
Last edited:
Re: New Aquabright Build Near Springtown, TX

Very nice design. A few things to think about
1. That's is too large of a pool for 1 light. Most people have 2 lights minimum and the pools probably average 30-35 feet. You may want to consider 3 lights.
2. Not sure if that's a VSP but if not with that many gallons you will want a 3 hp VSP
3. SWG is the way to go and will provide less maintenance for your parents.
4. Robots for cleaning are the way to go and the booster pump is not needed. With the cost of both you could have an even trade off
4. Decking- not sure how much entertaining you all do but with the size of the lot you may want to consider doing a bit more decking.
Can't wait to see it in progress [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sorry.... you're mistaken... That's not your parents dream pool. That's MY dream pool!!! Deep enough to dive, long enough to swim, slide for the kiddies...! Love it!!

BigWill has covered things nicely. SWG is absolutely the way to go. Test your well water for metals before filling.

Yippee :flower:

Congratulations to your folks - a dream home and a pool! I like their style! Kudos to you for helping them with this major project.

Now.... I sometimes think of myself as elderly. But if someone else refers to me as elderly, I don't know what they mean - suddenly I'm picturing someone in their nineties. Funny how the older I get, the 'elderly' age range keeps getting older! Seriously though, I was having major hip problems when we were building our pool, so steps were (still are) a major concern for me. Many PB's consider standard step height to be 10-12". That can be difficult for older people or anyone with mobility issues. Instead of 4 steps, I have 7 steps each about 6" high. I love them and so does everyone else - young and old. There are lots of ways to incorporate more steps without losing swim area in the pool. If you think your folks might be interested, I'll find some of the pictures I used when deciding how to get more steps.

You mentioned a heater, but no spa. Are they planning to heat the pool on a regular basis?

Take care!
Suz

1. Asked the PB about the light and they said one would be enough but not super bright, to add a second was $1100 but that it wasn't needed. Interesting that you have said the same thing...
2. It is a VSP, and I don't think that the pool is actually 31,000 gallons. It's actually closer to 25,000 because of the large tanning ledge, but the quote says 31,000. I need to get some clarification on this
3. Parents do not wasnt a SWG as they have been advised that the salt is corrosive to the natrual stone if not sealed properly every year. They are used to the pucks and with a well having to drain some water now and then isn't the worst thing (especially in the middle of the summer, adding 50 degree well water is never a bad thing. I am aware of the downsides both ways and all things considered it's easier to let them stick with the pucks.
4. Not sure on robots as a lot of people really seem to love them, but I just don't get the warm fuzzys throwing something connected to 115 Vac into the pool. I'm sure they're perfectly safe and as far as I know nobody has been hurt by one but I'm a slow adopter of technology. Plus again Mom and Dad are older and it will probably be easier having a cleaner they can just leave in on a timer.
5. Yeah, we would like more decking but we are pinched for space on the side away from the house and honestly it was one of the easist ways to reduce cost (Mom was already in sticker shock). I'm thinking the outdoor kitchen that is being put in (it's the patio area that the pool butts up to) should be big enough as a lot of the entertaining won't be too huge and usually involves kiddos who will be running around and in the pool anyway.
Very nice design. A few things to think about
1. That's is too large of a pool for 1 light. Most people have 2 lights minimum and the pools probably average 30-35 feet. You may want to consider 3 lights.
2. Not sure if that's a VSP but if not with that many gallons you will want a 3 hp VSP
3. SWG is the way to go and will provide less maintenance for your parents.
4. Robots for cleaning are the way to go and the booster pump is not needed. With the cost of both you could have an even trade off
4. Decking- not sure how much entertaining you all do but with the size of the lot you may want to consider doing a bit more decking.
Can't wait to see it in progress [emoji2]

The pool will not be heated on a regular basis, primarily just at time like this, when the weather is 85 out, but the water is still 60. Mom and Dad are 64 and 73 respectively. Neither one has much trouble getting around now (Mom had both her knees replaced so the steps would have been a much bigger issue 10 years ago) and both are able to get in and out of pools without much trouble but now I think I will be paying more attention to steps. Also, Dad doesn't refer to himself as elderly, he says he middle-aged since he plans on living to 150!
Congratulations to your folks - a dream home and a pool! I like their style! Kudos to you for helping them with this major project.

Now.... I sometimes think of myself as elderly. But if someone else refers to me as elderly, I don't know what they mean - suddenly I'm picturing someone in their nineties. Funny how the older I get, the 'elderly' age range keeps getting older! Seriously though, I was having major hip problems when we were building our pool, so steps were (still are) a major concern for me. Many PB's consider standard step height to be 10-12". That can be difficult for older people or anyone with mobility issues. Instead of 4 steps, I have 7 steps each about 6" high. I love them and so does everyone else - young and old. There are lots of ways to incorporate more steps without losing swim area in the pool. If you think your folks might be interested, I'll find some of the pictures I used when deciding how to get more steps.

You mentioned a heater, but no spa. Are they planning to heat the pool on a regular basis?

Take care!
Suz

1. Asked the PB about the light and they said one would be enough but not super bright, to add a second was $1100 but that it wasn't needed. Interesting that you have said the same thing...
2. It is a VSP, and I don't think that the pool is actually 31,000 gallons. It's actually closer to 25,000 because of the large tanning ledge, but the quote says 31,000. I need to get some clarification on this
3. Parents do not wasnt a SWG as they have been advised that the salt is corrosive to the natrual stone if not sealed properly every year. They are used to the pucks and with a well having to drain some water now and then isn't the worst thing (especially in the middle of the summer, adding 50 degree well water is never a bad thing. I am aware of the downsides both ways and all things considered it's easier to let them stick with the pucks.
4. Not sure on robots as a lot of people really seem to love them, but I just don't get the warm fuzzys throwing something connected to 115 Vac into the pool. I'm sure they're perfectly safe and as far as I know nobody has been hurt by one but I'm a slow adopter of technology. Plus again Mom and Dad are older and it will probably be easier having a cleaner they can just leave in on a timer.
5. Yeah, we would like more decking but we are pinched for space on the side away from the house and honestly it was one of the easist ways to reduce cost (Mom was already in sticker shock). I'm thinking the outdoor kitchen that is being put in (it's the patio area that the pool butts up to) should be big enough as a lot of the entertaining won't be too huge and usually involves kiddos who will be running around and in the pool anyway.

$1100 is crazy for 1 extra light.

I would not do pucks. I was going down that road at first and I read and read and read and I'm going salt now. Just too many bad side effects of those pucks.

Salt won't ruin the natural stone. Seal it and you will be good. even if you have to reseal it it's a very easy process that you can do for them.

i assume the slide is for ur kids? that threw me off when you said elderly parents.

also like others have said get that well water checked.

jim

Oh yeah, slide is actually for the church kids, Dad is a pastor of a small church the started ~35 years ago and the church kids love to come to the house. Also, it should be noted that my wife and I are just big kids lol. And the SWG is not actually my decision, Dad has never wanted one and wont do it. I can have them just switch to bleach if the pucks cause things to go south but I might as well argue with a fence post as to argue with Dad lol. Well water will be checked before filling.
$1100 is crazy for 1 extra light.

I would not do pucks. I was going down that road at first and I read and read and read and I'm going salt now. Just too many bad side effects of those pucks.

Salt won't ruin the natural stone. Seal it and you will be good. even if you have to reseal it it's a very easy process that you can do for them.

i assume the slide is for ur kids? that threw me off when you said elderly parents.

also like others have said get that well water checked.

jim

Can't argue with the man of God!
But I agree $1100 for a light is absurd and you can buy it only for half that price. Maybe tell the PB your friend has a brand new one and can he (PB) just have his steel guy or electrician put it in. It's nothing for them to add the light
And the nice thing down the road is when they get tired of the Polaris or it dies they can always switch to a robot then
I think it's awesome that your dad is doing something for the youth in his congregation

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Ok, have begun the process of trying to convince them to go salt, I will see how it goes. Mom is open, just have to convince Dad that it's not corrosive to the metal and the rock (as long as rock is sealed properly). It helps that the above ground pool is almost completely clear a little over a week after I started a SLAM (usually took them 2 months to clear a green pool).

A manually chlorinated pool will have also have salt in it. The salt level will increase each time bleach/chlorine is added.

I have not seen any posts on this forum with corrosive damage that was caused by a salt pool. Likewise, I have seen no evidence that sealing the stone does anything to mitigate this supposed risk. SWG bring so many positives to the table with little if any negatives.

I am " close" to your parents age, but don't consider myself elderly! LOL! I have a robot and wouldn't go any other way. What I do regret is not doing the automation. The Jandy PDA is very temperamental and very difficult for us "elderly" ;) people to see. Look into the iAquaLink and see what'd cost to upgrade. Also, I love my salt water pool! Definitely encourage them! So far, no issues with the travertine coping.

That is an aweseom design! Love it!

Even if the steps are not an issue now I would REALLY look into the step riser size. Kids will have a harder time with the 10" one as well as. Yeah they say " the water buoyancy will make it much easier to get out" well that does not really work when more than half you body is out of the pool. I am glad to see the hand rail by the steps.

Kim:kim:

The PDA was demoed for us at the pool place and seemed ok, but that's good to know. It was also easier than I thought to talk them into a SWG. It seems weird to me that all the builders I talked to recommended against the SWG as it's an upgrade and something they can sell. Maybe it cuts into the maintenance business?
I am " close" to your parents age, but don't consider myself elderly! LOL! I have a robot and wouldn't go any other way. What I do regret is not doing the automation. The Jandy PDA is very temperamental and very difficult for us "elderly" ;) people to see. Look into the iAquaLink and see what'd cost to upgrade. Also, I love my salt water pool! Definitely encourage them! So far, no issues with the travertine coping.

Regarding the SWG, I have read posts (on this site) about the salt causing issues with soft stone. I believe Oklahoma Flagstone like we're using for the coping is a soft stone, will sealing the rock yearly/twice a year as the pool builder suggested prevent corrosion or is the corrosion claim over stated to begin with? I just don't want to harm the coping, but the ease of the SWG makes it hard to go away from.

Regarding the SWG, I have read posts (on this site) about the salt causing issues with soft stone. I believe Oklahoma Flagstone like we're using for the coping is a soft stone, will sealing the rock yearly/twice a year as the pool builder suggested prevent corrosion or is the corrosion claim over stated to begin with? I just don't want to harm the coping, but the ease of the SWG makes it hard to go away from.

Just a suggestion... instead of paying to seal stone twice a year, (and making sure you follow through with this plan), consider instead some travertine coping. I believe flagstones vary in their "flakiness." We chose travertine for our SWG pool after swimming for a few years in some of our friends pools. The flaking was pretty noticeable. Whether or not it came from the salt, or other factors we wanted something different.

OK, so we have made the following changes based on y'alls feedback.

1. Will be using an Aquapure1400 SWG for chlorine (PB tried to get me to go with a Nature2, but Aquapure was cheaper and doesn't have the mineral system)
2. Adding an additional step at the entry point

Will post new pictures of the design with the extra step as soon as I get them.

Here's a few threads for flagstone and SWG.

Another-salt-vs-flagstone-thread
Pictures-of-Salt-Water-flagstone-or-coping-damage

Whenever a natural product is used, there will be trade-offs. Unfortunately sealing doesn't remove all those trade-offs and often leads to more trade-offs. Aren't decisions fun!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.