New above ground pool pump recommendation?

OscarB

Bronze Supporter
Aug 30, 2018
Mantua/nj
I accidentally cracked my pool pump when getting the pool summarized. I have a 28’ round and the pump was 1 hp. Any recommendations on replacing it? Stay with a single speed? Go for a variable or dual speed? I live in nj so my pool is only open for 4 months out of the year.
Thanks,

Oscar B

Stay with a single speed? Go for a variable or dual speed?
At the very least, definately a 2-speed to help save on electricity. VSPs are nice, but cost more and if your pool is a simple set-up, you may not get all the automated benefits from the VSP like others. Other than that, stick with the same HP and you should be fine. Be careful about changing manufactures because the fittings could be different.

At the very least, definately a 2-speed to help save on electricity. VSPs are nice, but cost more and if your pool is a simple set-up, you may not get all the automated benefits from the VSP like others. Other than that, stick with the same HP and you should be fine. Be careful about changing manufactures because the fittings could be different.
Thank you for the info. How would I use a two speed pump correctly? Can I just plug it in or do I need to buy some specialty timers?

How would I use a two speed pump correctly? Can I just plug it in or do I need to buy some specialty timers?
You have options. I'm old school, so I simply go out ot the pump when I need high speed and flip the toggle switch to high/low as needed. But others do use timers (i.e. Intermatic) to configure their pool for automated times. Since pumps/motors come in a varitey of models and voltages (120/240), wiring can vary. But it's something many, many owners do.

You have options. I'm old school, so I simply go out ot the pump when I need high speed and flip the toggle switch to high/low as needed. But others do use timers (i.e. Intermatic) to configure their pool for automated times. Since pumps/motors come in a varitey of models and voltages (120/240), wiring can vary. But it's something many, many owners do.
From what little I know, you leave it on low and run the pump longer. Only to put it high for things like backwashing and vacuuming? Am I close to being correct?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.