Neighbor left pool unattended

Philo

Oct 8, 2015
San Diego, Ca.
My neighbor just walked away from their house. I'm assuming it will be foreclosed on. Unfortunately, my main view is their fenced backyard and pool. It would kill me if I had to look at a green pool until a new owner gets it together. What if I took 2-3 of the 3" chlorine tabs and just threw them over the fence into the pool every week or so?

Get a floater and fill it up with pucks? Will you be able to sneak over there and refill as needed? Once the for sell sign goes up you can offer to be the pool guy. It will be a win-win-you don't have to look at a green pool OR deal with the mosquitos, the bank holding note will have a clean pool to help sell the property.

Contact the bank who will foreclose. They become responsible for the property.

Also, contact the realtor who is assigned to sell the house as they will likely take some control of getting the property ready for sale.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do you have an HOA? If so, the bylaws probably specify that the HOA can take over maintenance and bill the house. HOA may or may not get repaid though. We did this in our neighborhood and ended up getting all of our money spent back as we refused to release the lien until they paid the money. This house did have a pool but we did not mess with the pool since it had been winterized before the foreclosure and abandonment.

Honestly if it was me, I would probably throw a gallon of bleach or so a week in it to keep the mosquitoes down. If you can find the cover for it perhaps just cover it.

Man, if you guys are getting caught doing this kind of stuff, or worried about getting caught, you aren't doin' it right!!

Banks problem, not yours. As others have said, simply be an annoying jerk to the real estate agent and foreclosing authority (bank) and demand the pool be serviced. Make sure the city and local health dept is aware of it so they can initiate mosquito control.

Oh, and leave TFP business cards taped to the pool equipment pad ;)

Of course if the owners just left recently, it will take months to a year before anything happens be it a bank or government.

In that area, probably a good chance the pool will dry up by the time anyone does anything.

I'd be on the phone with my local officials and letting them know what is going on. I can bet you they will have someone out there draining that thing so they won't be liable after you called. Should something ever happen and then it is found out that you did report it to your local officials, then they would be on the hook.

It could take months and months before the house ever gets out of foreclosure.

I'd be on the phone with my local officials and letting them know what is going on. I can bet you they will have someone out there draining that thing so they won't be liable after you called. Should something ever happen and then it is found out that you did report it to your local officials, then they would be on the hook.

It could take months and months before the house ever gets out of foreclosure.

Leaving a pool empty is probably as illegal as leaving it untreated, and will cause damage to the pool.

Just so you know, Fanny Mae and Freddie Mac each have line items for pool care that they will pay for if the agent is on the ball and submits invoices. Some brokers don't seem to be aware of this.

When I made an offer my foreclosure (which had gone completely black) I'd looked into this, talked to the Fannie Mae folks, talked to the selling broker, and convinced them to winterize the equipment before we completed the agreement. They paid in full. As a result, though I bought a swamp, I'd bought a swamp with perfectly working equipment and got another 5 years out of my old heater and even longer out of my pump ;)

But this was not just because I'd "negotiated." It was because I drew attention to their own policy ;) So maybe if you look up the sherrifs auction info or get the bank name from your local records, you could convince the bank to afford a small service budget for which I believe they can get reimbursed. Or do this through the selling agent.

At the very least, they will cover or tarp the pool, depending on whether there's a cover onsite. That may somewhat reduce the mosquito/frog phenom, or at least the eventual smell.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.