Pearland, Texas
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Hello Fellow Members,
I live in a subdivision that has fairly strict HOA rules.
I moved here 5 years ago and noticed that after heavy rains, my neighbor drains the pool into his back yard.
He does not have an underground drain to bring the water to the front curb and when he drains his pool in his back yard the water frequently invades my driveway.
There are swales (like ditches) between our houses but somehow they are not shaped correctly and the water invades my driveway
Sometimes the flow is pretty serious and the event lasts a couple of hours.
I have taken pictures and sent them to the HOA a few times but it still happens once or twice every couple of months.
What do you all think?
Your opinions are appreciated.

I would think drainage would be a city code thing, not a HOA item.

As with any neighborly issue, I would think the first step would be to politely mention it to the neighbor so that they know it is a problem.

Does it damage your property in any way, or is it just an inconvenient puddle for a few hours ? If it was leaving you with driveway damage, or 3 inches of mud across said driveway I would not be happy either. A simple puddle I wouldn’t mind because you may need your fellow neighbors to look the other way one day for something else.

It’s likely that draining pool water is prohibited except into the sanitary sewer. I’d take the high road And explain that his water in overcoming the ditch and flowing onto your property. Ask him to relocate the drain so as to not overwhelm the swale. If he blows you off than conact your county health dept.

Does it damage your property in any way, or is it just an inconvenient puddle for a few hours ? If it was leaving you with driveway damage, or 3 inches of mud across said driveway I would not be happy either. A simple puddle I wouldn’t mind because you may need your fellow neighbors to look the other way one day for something else.
It does not damage my property in any way I can identify.
Thanks !

It does not damage my property in any way I can identify.
Thanks !
Like JJ said, go talk to them. Maybe they have no clue and can easily change something to alleviate flooding you. They will probably be defensive no matter what, so go in with kid gloves on at first. Once they see you really just want to talk maybe they will try to work with you.

They may be embarrassed about it but have no other feasablie choice. Or they could just be jerks.

You still have every right to be bothered by someone else flooding your yard, even if i personally would let it go for the sake of neighborly relations. Keep us posted.

I know out here in AZ, it’s illegal to dump your pool water into the street. We don’t have traditional storm drains here, they drain into retention areas.
Your supposed to drain to your sewer clean out located in front of your house.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.