Neglected pool maintenance during winter, now trying to clear algae

Piggulet

Feb 27, 2021
Metro-Atlanta, GA
Hi!

While I am new to this forum, I am not new to pool ownership and have successfully combatted algae blooms in the past with SLAMming the pool. This go round, I am baffled.

Before raising the chlorine levels, I checked my numbers:

pH 8+
FC 0
CYA 25
TA 40

I added muriatic acid to lower the pH and got it a little too low at around 7. I added 13 lbs of Baking Soda to raise my TA to 40(which I know is still low). I added 6 gallons of 10% liquid chlorine, Brushed the pool in its entirety. Several hours later, I tested the chlorine levels and got a reading of 30+. The next morning, there was no drop in the chlorine level, which was shocking. I continued to add chlorine thinking it was just a misread on my part.

Now, my pH indicates purple, which I know can be caused by high levels of chlorine. I read in another thread that lower water temps can make this process slower. Do I just need to wait and not keep adding chlorine? Please help!!!

Thanks in advance,
Piggulet

What is your water temperature?

What made you think you had algae? Did you do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test?

What are your FC and CC now?

Your CYA is 30. If the dot disappears between 30 and 20 we round up and call it 30. You cannot measure CYA 25.

Your SLAM FC is 12.

Sounds like metals in the water. Have a pool store test your water for metals - iron and copper.

Cloudy with a tint of green = algae

a pretty overall green tint but clear = metal

MOST of the time that is.

Yeah. It is not clear. There was definite algae on the bottom of the pool. Brushed, now it's cloudy green. Appreciate your willingness to help. Can't understand why it isn't clearing up as it has in the past. I know the liquid chlorine is not too old. Wondering if there is some other water chemistry interfering?

After getting the purple color on my pH test, I have stopped adding anything to the pool, but let the pump run continuously.IMG_20210301_130259024.jpg

Once you lowered the pH to about 7.0, best to forget about it during the SLAM Process. An elevated FC will make the pH read higher until the FC falls below 10. But during the SLAM Process, FC testing and consistency is a priority, trying to maintain the FC of 12 (in your case) until all 3 SLAM criteria have passed. Many owners have that one season that simply doesn't react like the previous. :scratch: But I would get the FC to 12 and keep it there as best as you can all day long. Do all the other tasks on that SLAM page as well. Even if you do have metals, which is questionable at this point, you must complete the SLAM first anyways.

And don't over dose the pool on chlorine. It's a waste of product and can destroy your liner.

Keep at it. Sand filters usually take the longest to clear up the dead algae. How long did your previous SLAMS take? Just by looking at the pictures, I would expect yours to take 5+ days.

Some items that may help with progress:
- If your CYA is actually 30 (rounded up from slightly less), then an FC of 12 is ideal and should be maintained
- Ignore further pH results until after the SLAM Process
- When was the last time you did a sand deep clean? It may be time
- When you initially brushed and made everything cloudy, any chance there is more junk settled at the bottom?
- Is your filter pressure gauge working? Remember to backwash when the pressure increases by about 25% from the clean starting pressure.
- How old are your test reagents? Any chance they were compromised by extreme heat or cold?
- Did you add any other chemicals other than baking soda, acid, and liquid chlorine recently? Anything new in preparation for winter?
- Are you testing the FC at least 3-4 times per day to maintain the FC of 12?

Hopefully some of that will help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.