Needing advice

Merged another thread - Marty TFP Mod

I went to a pool store to get the FAS/DPD reagents and went ahead and had them check my water while there. I was told my FC=37 Calcium =50, CYA=30 (I tested it yesterday at 50, but I am new to this so not sure I trust my own testing.
I was told that I need to add 60lb of calcium hardness and given instructions on how to do this. He said this level could be the problem with the water clarity. I have kept my FC very high (couldn't measure actual value until today bc my comparitor goes to 5 ppm).
If the calcium hardness is not the issue then I am at a loss. It is not getting any better. I test the clarity by how far down I can put the brush into the deep end before I can't see it any more, and it is not improving.
Thank you for your help! It's in the 80s here today and my kids are dying to swim!!

Last edited by a moderator:
What type of pool surface is this? Please fill out your signature.

I highly doubt a pool store had FAS-DPD reagents.
Use your own test kit. What test kit do you have?
Are you following the SLAM process?

Ohmy. That pool store has no clue. Your pool is green with algae, not lack of calcium.

Is this a vinyl pool? If so it doesn't actually *need* calcium.

CYA of 30 is ideal for a SLAM to kill off the algae. A CYA of 50 just means you need more chlorine for the kill.

SLAM Process

FC/CYA Levels

How are you set up for a LOT of liquid chlorine? Either plain, unscented, non-thickened, no polymer, no Clorox brand plain bleach? Or liquid chlorine (10% from Walmart pool dept, or from a pool store in various strengths)

Maddie :flower:

Sorry I thought my signature was there. I'll go back and try to figure that out.
30k gal ig vinyl pool, sand filter, Indiana

I have been using liquid chlorine 10% from Walmart and Rural King.

I did not have the FAS/DPD test kit so I called around and found the reagents. I have a kit from Leslie's that check everything else. I'll check it all again when I get home, but even at 50CYA my CC should be making a difference?

Thanks for saving me from dumping another $100 on this pool by purchasing the CH increaser!

Okay I just redid all of my test and also have the pool store numbers from today for comparison. I'm struggling with the CYA. The pool store measured 30, which makes most sense in regards to the amount of stabilizer addes earlier this week. When I measure I get 50 to 55 or so. I wear strong prescription contacts and I think I'm struggling with this measurement.

My readings:
FC 33
CC 0
CYA 55 maybe more
TA 90
PH 6.8

Pool store
FC 39
TA 90
CYA 30
PH 8.0
CH 50

I was told to add PH down. I checked it twice and got 6.8 both times.

Regardless of my CYA, my CC is plenty high. Even though I have been unable to measure it accurately, I feel like I have kept it on the very high side based on the color of the comparitor test. I've seen a slow improvement in pool color but clarity seems to remain the same. Is there anything else to try? I'm still wondering if it could be filter issues.

Thanks so much.

Attachments

• 15582117597004636846984008369192.jpg
    15582117597004636846984008369192.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 12
It doesn't look any better this morning. Please see previous post for test results. I would love some feedback as to why the SLAM seems to not be working. Thank you!
Also, I can't tell if my signature showing up?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your signature is showing. Turn your phone sideways to see it.
The SLAM process works to kill the algae. So if the pool is still green, it either needs to be brushed more or there is some testing error skewing the results. Check your testing methods to be sure you are getting correct readings for CYA and FC.
As far as cloudy water, your sand filter will take time to clear the pool. Have you deep cleaned the sand filter this year? Have you used clarifiers, flocculants, other pool store potions in the past?

Your signature is showing. Turn your phone sideways to see it.
The SLAM process works to kill the algae. So if the pool is still green, it either needs to be brushed more or there is some testing error skewing the results. Check your testing methods to be sure you are getting correct readings for CYA and FC.
As far as cloudy water, your sand filter will take time to clear the pool. Have you deep cleaned the sand filter this year? Have you used clarifiers, flocculants, other pool store potions in the past?

I believe the algae is dead at this point, I'm showing 0 CC. We did use a clarifier a few weeks ago (I know better now). My husband is going to try a deep clean of the filter today. I'll report back on that. My brush came off in the deep in and I can't see it to fish it out ? so I haven't brushed in several days. More pool fun, haha. Thanks!

Brushing is imperative to get the algae on bottom mixed up into the chlorinated water. Buy another brush if you need to.

I completely understand now why you all advise to stay away from the pool stores. Saturday the guy who sold me the FAS/DPD reagents told me wronf directions, that 1 drop is 1 ppm not .5. I just rechecked my method and found my error. Bc I'm new to testing, I wanted to compare my results to the pool stores. The guy in Saturday told me my FC was 39 (now I think he was measuring wrong), CH 50, PH 8, CYA 30, nd I should dump 60lb CH increase, use PH increase. The very next day my husband took a sample to Leslie's when he went to get the new brush. They said PH is fine, CYA 68 and that we need to use clarifier or flock in addition to algaecide. 2 completely different stories. Well now that I understand my mistake on measuring chlorine I maybe finally can get this. My husband is wanting to have a pool maintenance company open it next year since I've struggled so much! I told him to give me another chance! ? ( he farms and can't help this time of year).
Thanks again. I hope to be posting pics of a clear pool before Friday ?

I completely understand now why you all advise to stay away from the pool stores. Saturday the guy who sold me the FAS/DPD reagents told me wronf directions, that 1 drop is 1 ppm not .5. I just rechecked my method and found my error. Bc I'm new to testing, I wanted to compare my results to the pool stores. The guy in Saturday told me my FC was 39 (now I think he was measuring wrong), CH 50, PH 8, CYA 30, nd I should dump 60lb CH increase, use PH increase. The very next day my husband took a sample to Leslie's when he went to get the new brush. They said PH is fine, CYA 68 and that we need to use clarifier or flock in addition to algaecide. 2 completely different stories. Well now that I understand my mistake on measuring chlorine I maybe finally can get this. My husband is wanting to have a pool maintenance company open it next year since I've struggled so much! I told him to give me another chance! ? ( he farms and can't help this time of year).
Thanks again. I hope to be posting pics of a clear pool before Friday ?
Whatever you do, do NOT add flocculant to your pool. That stuff is like putting glue in your pool. Gums up all your sand and is just a nightmare to deal with. Avoid avoid avoid. No magic potions. No clarifier. No flocculant.

Well it looks like I messed up...again. we have always user 3" chlorine tabs and several weeks ago bought two 40lb buckets on sale. I was planning to start using them as soon as I finally get SLAM completed. Just read on another post that this will increase CYA, which I believe is already on the high side (I dont trust my testing of it yet but think it is in the 60-65 range). Can someone tell me how much this will affect my CYA?

Well it looks like I messed up...again. we have always user 3" chlorine tabs and several weeks ago bought two 40lb buckets on sale. I was planning to start using them as soon as I finally get SLAM completed. Just read on another post that this will increase CYA, which I believe is already on the high side (I dont trust my testing of it yet but think it is in the 60-65 range). Can someone tell me how much this will affect my CYA?
Yeah... no tablets for you. You are already over the limit. Try to return them for liquid chlorine.

I'm about to lose it here.
This is a pic of my CYA test at 75 ppm and current pool view after another brush.
Is this an accurate reading of the CYA test?
FC is 18 and CC is 0
What next? I'm standing here trying to decide whether to increase my chlorine again or dump a few inches of water? I just added stabilizer this week bc my CYA was 0. I'm sure I followed directions and added less than needed.
Thanks for staying patient with me bc I'm losing patience with myself (as are my ready-to-swim kids!) All my buddies with pools shocked with non chlorine shock and used phos free and their pools are clear already. Please help me! ???

Attachments

• 20190520_154649.jpg
    20190520_154649.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 20190520_155023.jpg
    20190520_155023.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 35

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.