Need to replace Pentair VS pump, but with what? And automation? BF deals?

jbailey895

Apr 25, 2016
Carlsbad, CA
The LCD screen on my Pentair VS went out last year, and I survived a whole year with the settings that were in existence when it went out (starts 5 am, runs til 1 pm at a moderate rate 1100 rpm). I have a pool/spa, and SWG. I have considered Automating in the past, but have never done it. I had solar for pool, but replaced with solar PV for house, but may again get solar in the future. Also had a Poolstar pool cover, but removed in in the remodel last year.

So. . . what should I get? If I just replace the VS pump, I would maintain status quo, which works pretty well. I will also need to replace the SWG cell soon (the salt level falls daily, but that may be the water getting too cold to generate), is there an advantage in doing it all at once? I'm trying to utilize any Black Friday deals, so I'm trying to get it sorted this week.

Thanks for any advice,

Cheers,
Joel

I wonder if you could just upgrade to easytouch with screen logic automation and not have to worry about the pump LCD? I haven't looked at my pump LCD since the pool was installed. Hopefully @Jimrahbe or one of the other pentair experts will chime in on that. And if you are looking to change out the salt cell you could pick up an IC40 and control everything from your phone.

I would suggest EasyTouch with ScreenLogic and integrated IntelliChlor power supply.

Then, you can replace the cell with an IC40 or IC60. It will control the pump and it can control solar or gas heaters, lights, valves etc.

I would suggest EasyTouch with ScreenLogic and integrated IntelliChlor power supply.

Then, you can replace the cell with an IC40 or IC60. It will control the pump and it can control solar or gas heaters, lights, valves etc.

Thanks Guys, I appreciate the suggestions. I agree that the need to replace the pump could be removed by adding a controller like the EasyTouch. Does the IntelliChlor replace the AquaRite? Suggested vendors for a quote on such?

Gracias,

Joel

Thanks James, no, the Pentair was a year or two out of warranty, and the replacement of the LCD is almost $500, so new pump is needed, unless I go the automated route (pump seems to work fine, but for the inability to control anything. . the buttons and speed settings work too. Do I want/need to replace the AquaRite with the IC? I understand they would "play well" together for automation purposes. The AquaRite controller is over 10 yrs old, and I've replaced or repaired the board several times, but it seems to be currently working fine.

I guess if I'm looking at almost $1k to replace the pump, or $1500 to install an Easytouch, and keep the pump, that seems to be a more integrated step towards automation, but will also require changing out the non-pentair options (SWG etc) at least eventually.

Joel,

As James suggests, I would call Pentair, even if the pump is out of warranty, and tell them you have a known manufacturing problem with water getting into the LCD area. Ask them what they might be able to do for you. You may or may not get a new electronics unit, but the only thing you will have lost is a little time...

The EasyTouch should be able to control the pump without the LCD working, but since we don't know exactly what is wrong with the control unit, that cannot be guaranteed.

Without automation you can just pick whatever parts you want and use them individually.. Exactly what you did by using a Pentair pump with a Hayward salt system. When you have automation it is best to use the same brand of equipment so that they all can talk together over a communications bus.

If this were my system, and I was thinking about going with automation, I would get the EasyTouch/IC40 bundle... See here... Pentair Easy Touch Control System 520545. EasyTouch 8SC-IC40 Control System. Pentair 520545.

This EasyTouch 8, is for a Pool with a Spa, comes with an internal power supply for the Salt Cell (IC40), as well as two valve actuators for your valves. I would also suggest that you buy ScreenLogic2, which is about $360 and lets you control everything from you PC, Tablet, or phone.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.