Need to raise CH level

Feb 24, 2018
Richmond, TX
Ive recently found out through many threads here that Cal hypo tablets cannot be used in an in line chlorinator... and I dont want a floater floating around. So I guess that leaves me to granules. Are there any things (additives) to deicer that i need to look for or will any bag work? Also, outside of the sock method for distribution, can i dissolve the granules in a 5 gallon bucket and then pour in front of a return. Current CH level is 200. Im shooting for 250 so I dont need to add much.

Thanks

Stay away from cheap deicers. They are often mixes of sodium chloride, magnesium chloride and calcium chloride with very little calcium chloride because the other stuff is much cheaper to add. Also, stuff that’s sold as deicers or “road salt” can have a good bit of sand added to it. You want to find a material that is majority calcium chloride OR go to a pool store and pay a premium for CH Increaser which will be 99% calcium chloride.

Since you’re in TX, isn’t your water hard enough? Usually us folks in the Southwest don’t need much CH ....

Reactions: Berger82
Since you’re in TX, isn’t your water hard enough?
I was wondering the same thing. Our local water drives mine up fairly quickly. With just under 50 ppm, maybe compensate with a slightly elevated pH to protect your CSI level. Use Poolmath. But if you are still wanting to add CH, here are couple good examples:
Where to buy Calcium Chloride in Austin
First time buying Calcium Chloride in Houston TX, where is the cheapest?
Plus, you can still use Cal-Hypo a few times. You know, those bags from the pool store. Yikes, I said it - the "PS" word. Uh oh. Just broadcast spread those bags.

If you decide to add and pre-dilute in a bucket, be cautious of the water getting hot. Always refer to the TFP Recommended Chemicals page for directions.

Reactions: Berger82
Stay away from cheap deicers. They are often mixes of sodium chloride, magnesium chloride and calcium chloride with very little calcium chloride because the other stuff is much cheaper to add. Also, stuff that’s sold as deicers or “road salt” can have a good bit of sand added to it. You want to find a material that is majority calcium chloride OR go to a pool store and pay a premium for CH Increaser which will be 99% calcium chloride.

Since you’re in TX, isn’t your water hard enough? Usually us folks in the Southwest don’t need much CH ....
Yeah, the water is hard but has become diluted overtime. Has been a very wet fall and winter here.

Thanks for for the info.

I was wondering the same thing. Our local water drives mine up fairly quickly. With just under 50 ppm, maybe compensate with a slightly elevated pH to protect your CSI level. Use Poolmath. But if you are still wanting to add CH, here are couple good examples:
Where to buy Calcium Chloride in Austin
First time buying Calcium Chloride in Houston TX, where is the cheapest?
Plus, you can still use Cal-Hypo a few times. You know, those bags from the pool store. Yikes, I said it - the "PS" word. Uh oh. Just broadcast spread those bags.

If you decide to add and pre-dilute in a bucket, be cautious of the water getting hot. Always refer to the TFP Recommended Chemicals page for directions.
So when you say hot, you mean hot to the skin right?. Shouldn't matter if I'm pouring hot water in the pool?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.