Need to add unions...Is this the correct product?


May 31, 2017
New Palestine IN
While researching this morning I have come to the conclusion that I need to add unions in order to deep clean our sand filter. I want to make sure I order the correct product, I prefer Amazon prime so I get it fast. My pipes say 1 1/2" so I assume that is the size I need.

Is this correct? : Hayward SP14953S 1-1/2-Inch MIP by 1-1/2-Inch Socket White ABS Flush Male/Female Socket Union : Pipe Fittings : Garden Outdoor

Also, I don't have any glue or whatever else we did, any recommendations on that?



TFP Expert
Apr 29, 2016
Quaker Hill, CT
If it were me I would use these right in the center of each of those horizontal runs of pipe going to the multiport. That way you can leave the threaded fitting that are there alone also you might have a clearance issue with the union nut being too close to the multiport body to unthread.


Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX

I personally like "Pump Unions" that look like this... 150-903 | Pump Union with O-Ring 1-1/2 Inch

Notice the O-Ring on the threaded end... This O-Ring prevents leaks at the threads..... I like them much better than trying to relay on the thread not leaking over time. Makes plumbing easier to do..

They come in both 1.5" and 2" versions...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.


Well-known member
Apr 3, 2015
New York

As for glue. Get a clear primer. And get a clear glue. They are typically purple for the primer and the glue can be colored as well so buying clear will make the job look neat/clean. Also note that they sell a "cleaner" but that's not primer. There are papers that say primer is not necessary but you can get both for $15 so I'd just get both primer and glue in clear. I agree with Jim. I just put a swcg in and the unions had O-rings to prevent any leaking. Good luck


May 31, 2017
New Palestine IN
Thank you Jim. I ordered the ones you suggested and they actually arrived first. I am a little confused though because one end is threaded and one end isn't. Do I need to buy another piece for the threaded end? Then do I glue the non-threaded end directly on the pipe?IMG_5359.jpgIMG_5358.jpg