Need stain advise

markayash

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Mar 21, 2016
Atlanta Ga
Need to give a history to help understand..Last year I had new plaster with the blue chips installed..Never looked right even though the guy said it takes a while. After 8 months, last November he said the top coat wasn't wearing off and they needed to acid wash it so I drained it..Between me draining and them coming out we had rain and leaves falling and left dark streaks on the plaster that didn't completely come out after acid washing.
Oh coarse they said it was my fault and it should clear up..
Fast forward to this Spring and the blue shows through but it has brown patchs and a few rust looking streaks on the side.

Today I trying using a Chlorine tablet and it didn't touch it..I then bought Vitamin C and it took 80% off in a few seconds of rubbing.

Does that mean I have iron? I have a fairly new heater and PVC piping so would seem strange

Ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance

I live in Atlanta Ga and its a 15x20 Kidney shaped pool

Likely iron. Where does your fill water come from?

From Stains in Your Pool - Trouble Free Pool

In the vast majority of pools metal staining comes from iron. Iron is fairly common in well water but rare in municipal water. If you suspect a stain is caused by iron try the Vitamin C test. Place 15 to 20 Vitamin C tablets in a sock and crush them. Hold the sock on the stain for 3 to 5 minutes. If the stain vanishes or lightens then it is iron.

You can remove iron stains with ascorbic acid (Vit C). See this article, Ascorbic Treatment to rid Pool of metal stains, for directions on how.

If iron has precipitated into the water, turning it orange, brown, yellow or green, it is sometimes possible to filter out the iron particulates using polyfill pillow stuffing material. Polyfill can be used by stuffing it in a skimmer basket or making a separate bucket filter filled with polyfill and circulating water through it, replace it often.

If your fill water has iron then consider trucking in iron-free water to fill the pool. Also consider capturing rain water or diverting gutters to the pool as an iron-free source of water for replacing evaporation and water loss.

County water "shouldn't" have a lot of iron which has me wondering..I know the county had to replace a couple main lines in our area about the time I filled it last year.

If it is Iron how do yo treat it?

If it is Iron how do yo treat it?

You can remove iron stains with ascorbic acid (Vit C). See this article, Ascorbic Treatment to rid Pool of metal stains, for directions on how.

Take your pool water and fill water to a pool store and ask them if they can test it for iron. Testing water for metals is one of the few times we recommend members going ot the pool store.

Last edited:
Reactions: markayash
Thanks, any harm in trying the Ascoribic acid?

Not if you follow the directions in the link above.

Since you have not yet put the details of your pool in your signature I don’t know anything about your pool such as your filter type and if you have a RECIRCULATE mode on it. See What we need to know to answer your questions

My pool store is more about " you need to buy buy buy " then helping folks so I try and stay away :(

Nod when they tell you stuff, tell them you will think about it, and leave your wallet in your car.

I updated my signature. I can't recirculate without filtering, Tried once with the cartridges out and strangely the pressure went up and nothing came out..Never understood that :).
Is the risk Damaging the filter? I do have an older set of filters I cleaned and kept I can use.

You don't damage the filter but you may have to frequently clean or replace the cartridges while filtering the iron.

Post a pic of your filter and it's valve if you want help understanding what you have.

sure, I am still re-plumbing stuff but general direction will stay the same..See my FUBAR between input and pump..For some stupid reason I was thinking I could use that for backwashing until it was too late and I gave myself " gibbs smack" behind the head :)

Attachments

• IMG_0278.jpg
    IMG_0278.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 18
I added a total of 5 pds of ascorbic acid in 2 doses and it got 95% of the side stains and 50% of the bottom stains..I am leaving it in with low chlorine and pump circulating..Water is cool and pollen has stopped so should be ok for a day.
Also my filter did circulate with no cartridges, Before I left the filter top off but put it back on today and it worked

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Kudo's to the TFP folks for recommending an Ascorbic acid treatment.
My pool is 100% better then it was before. I bought 5 pds and added it in 2 doses and my nasty looking pool is sparkling again with no chlorine or filters.

Still, have a few places on the bottom so ordered 2 more pounds and will give it a 3rd treatment

If you elect to use the sequestering agent mentioned above. Hold 7.2 to 7.4 pH. Initial dose 1 bottle per 10,000 then 6oz per 10,000 maintenance dose. The biggest mistake people make in the iron removal process does not pertain to you as it looks like you have a DE filter? But with cartridge and sand filters must be coated with cellulose fiber to assist in removal of microscopic Iron Salts.

If you elect to use the sequestering agent mentioned above. Hold 7.2 to 7.4 pH. Initial dose 1 bottle per 10,000 then 6oz per 10,000 maintenance dose. The biggest mistake people make in the iron removal process does not pertain to you as it looks like you have a DE filter? But with cartridge and sand filters must be coated with cellulose fiber to assist in removal of microscopic Iron Salts.

According to his signature @markayash has a Hayward 4 cart filter. How does one coat it with cellulose fiber?

Last edited:
2-3oz by weight of fiber per 25 square feet of filter area mixed in a bucket of water. Slowly feed thru skimmer to coat element. First run of fiber will typically only go 24-48 hours. Clean filter and re-coat. Subsequent coatings of fiber will last the normal filter run. Obviously Iron is coming from ductile Iron source piping or well? I would keep pool loaded with phosphonic and filter coated with fiber in perpetuity or stains are coming back..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.