Need some help with the steps for getting the chemicals right

Jun 10, 2018
BRISTOL, CT
Hi guys thanks for having me on the forum. This the second summer I've had a pool so pretty new to this. I am having some trouble getting the right readings to make sure the pool is safe. All the research I've done on the internet only educates you on what the chemicals are and what they do. I am having some difficulty understanding the steps to getting the chemicals right at the start of the season.

So I went to pool store and they said I have a lot of copper in the water so they cannot get a reading of anything else. I added the two bottles of the metal free but they retested and said it's still to high.

I tested the water at home to determine the Ph and Chlorine are low. I cannot get the Total Alkalinity test to change colors.

What steps do I take to get the pool water safe to swim in?

Welcome to the forum!

The one test we will believe from the pool store is copper. What number did they give you? Best (only, really) way to get rid of copper is to drain and refill. The stuff you added sequesters it, does not eliminate it.

First step to a TFP pool is a proper test kit. We recommend the TF100 from TFTestkits.net or a Taylor K2006C. Neither are available at pool stores. Order one online.

Once you get your test kit, run all the tests and post them up here.

Take care.

Welcome Aaron:

What type of test kit are you using at home. If you have a test kit, please try to get the readings of all these: FC, CC, CYA, TA, pH, CH

Side Note: Pool Store readings aren't reliable. We recommend you use your own test kit. Here are some comparable test kits. I'm not sure which one you have:
Test Kits Compared

Thanks for the help. I am using a test kit I bought last year from Ocean State Job lot, it's a discount store over here the the north east.

Two days ago I brushed and vacuumed the pool before adding two lbs of powder shock and adding 3 chlorine tabs to the skimmer. As of now, the water even in the deep end is pretty clear, no sparking clear but clean enough to see the pattern on the liner on the deep end floor.

Here are the results I have for now using the discount tester.

less than .6 Clorine
less than 6.8 ph
TA= when I add two drops of the violet it doesn't turn the water violet, I have to add 15 drops to get it somewhat violet
10 drops to make it yellow so I would assume 100 TA

I had 2.0-3.0 CC and FC a few hours after adding the shock. TA and PH seem to be the same as two days ago also

Welcome to the forum!

The one test we will believe from the pool store is copper. What number did they give you? Best (only, really) way to get rid of copper is to drain and refill. The stuff you added sequesters it, does not eliminate it.

First step to a TFP pool is a proper test kit. We recommend the TF100 from TFTestkits.net or a Taylor K2006C. Neither are available at pool stores. Order one online.

Once you get your test kit, run all the tests and post them up here.

Take care.

I have the strips to test the copper and it seems like it it well over .3 like 1-2. I am not so much worry about the copper because I disconnected the heater by routing the PVC a different way. The heater wasnt working anyway. I know the numbers I posted above do not look good, where should I start since I don't have one of those professional testing kits?

Sadly, without a proper way to test FC above 10 ppm, you cannot follow the processes documented on TFP. At the minimum, you must get a FAS-DPD test, K1515, to test for FC and CC. Without that, we are reluctant to provide any guidance.

You are welcome to follow your own process as it is your pool. We encourage you to post here for information, but our guidance will be limited without proper test data.

Take care.

Yea you guys know way more than I do and hate to follow the local pool stores guidance. I will def pick up the kit recommended

Why would I need to test above 10ppm? Is really the only way this forum recommends is to do the SLAM?

Read SLAM Process and [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. SLAM level for CYA of 30 is 12 ppm FC. Also the color comparator tests have great error. The powder / reagent test (FAS-DPD) is quite accurate.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
SLAM is a process that requires frequent testing and dosing. It needs to be done at least twice a day, but works better if you can do it much more than that - every two hours if possible.

Is someone else going to be there... someone you can teach how to do?

I don't run a hotel or swimming school where there is a maintenance guy on staff...I am my own home's maintenance guy but I am away from the house 12 hours a day at work. It would be impossible to test twice a day. I know pool ownership isn't easy but I am just being practical. I am looking at testing maybe twice a week

You can’t test before you leave for work, when you return home, and before bed?

Testing twice a week is just not going to work for a SLAM.

Don't take this the wrong way like I am being lazy or not up to the challenge but it would be a nuisance to do that. Testing is not really the issue, it would only take like 5-10 minutes to get the water tested. it's having to then add the chemicals which I am not doing before work. I don't know what you guys do all day long maybe you are just sitting by the pool and have nothing else to do :)

You will not be successful without frequent testing. You will be frustrated and waste a lot of money.

I would suggest hiring a pool maintenance company and letting them manage it. It will NOT be TFP and it will cost a lot more.

Take care.

its really not that hard and to honest with you, You will have a hard time getting things the way you want it with out testing. once you get things in order you maybe able to get away with twice a week but you have a high chance of chasing your pool instead of maintaining it. I took a very lackadaisical approach to pool care for many years and it made my pool a pain in my back side. it may also seem over the top to test as often as we here at TFP do but it has been determined by practical use that it pays off in the enjoyment, water clarity, and water safety for your family. I personally don't want to think I didn't do everything possible to keep my family safe (I'm not saying you don't just to be clear). believe me I was in your spot for many years and it just does not work in the long run. It literally takes me 5 mins to add the chemicals and I started with an absolute swamp

Don't take this the wrong way like I am being lazy or not up to the challenge but it would be a nuisance to do that. Testing is not really the issue, it would only take like 5-10 minutes to get the water tested. it's having to then add the chemicals which I am not doing before work. I don't know what you guys do all day long maybe you are just sitting by the pool and have nothing else to do :)

Just part of owning a pool! Consider it like having a pet... you have to feed them and let them out for potty breaks!

But seriously, a couple of points to make. First, a SLAM is not normal pool maintenance. It is a process to clean up a pool that has not been properly maintained. Some SLAMs are over in just a few days, and some take a bit longer. There are lots of factors, but owner diligence is one of the things that can determine how long a SLAM will last,

Second, we aren’t talking hours here. Takes maybe 5-15 minutes to grab a water sample, throw some powder in test tube, swirl, and add drops, counting the drops. Then putting number into an app, and throwing in the amount of chlorine the app says to do. Done. Go to work.

But it’s up to you, you know how much time you do or don’t want to spend on pool maintenance. If it’s the time that’s the issue and you don’t mind how much money you spend then do as suggested above and hire a pool service. Still recommend a good test kit however so that you can test it once in a while to make sure that the pool service is actually keeping the water safe and clean.

You guys are putting me on the right track and have made good points. Can you tell I dont have a pet either!!! :)

I think I will be in good shape with the resources here and the right test kit. Will be back soon once I get the new kit in the mail. But you are right I would like to be more preventative than chasing it. I will figure how to fit it in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.