Need some advice on the next step

Melo973

Jul 16, 2019
Morris County/ NJ
Greetings all and thanks in advance. We purchased our home in the winter two years ago and weren’t able to get a good pool inspection. The previous owner said it was perfect but, of course, there’s issues. This is our first pool and we’ve got quite a bit to learn.

The pool is a 30k gallon, cement, in-ground pool with two skimmers and a main drain. We figured out right away that the line from the skimmer closest to the filter was leaking. We isolated it and ran the one skimmer and main but we were getting air in the lines that progressively got worse. We let the pool go at the end of the season and now, I have the pool drained and am cleaning it.

We noticed a few cracks in some of the valves and we’re in the process of replacing them. Is it better to use individual two way valves per line or a three way valve where they join? I read an Amazon review that said the design of the three ways limit water flow. Also, is there a way to pressure test the lines without the pool being filled? The pool places near me say it can’t be done but (again, I’m a noob) shouldn’t you be able to isolate the individual lines and test them?

Another issue is with the main drain. I used it to lower the pool but it wouldn’t work for the last 2-3 feet. I’m thinking I may have clogged it with leaves/debris? I hooked up a shopvac at the filter and I could push air out of it (a lot) but it won’t pull water down. Can it be blown out with the pool drained? How about snaked?

Last few things: We’re on a budget, trying not to spend too much on materials and we’re doing the work ourselves. The walls look beat up but there aren’t any cracks. We’d like to just paint with rubberized Insul-x but how do you know if you need to replaster first? Also, I know glass tile at the waterline is easy to clean but can you use any tile that you’d use in a bathroom?

Thanks for all your help!

you would have to post pics of the equipment pad for me to answer which valve is better. I prefer 2 way valves whenever possible so you can close BOTH lines without having to pick 1 over the other. yes you can pressure test lines depending what style return ends you have but the kit to plug the ends is a professionals kit and is a few hundred to buy yourself, may be worth it thats up to you. there is a difference in pool tile to bathroom tile, pool tile is rated for submersion and glass pool tile has a different build without the paper in the back. the last thing you want to do is paint the pool, you will get a few years at best out of it and then its time for a repaint or a plaster job its just a bandaid and a whole lot of work. when you say you couldnt get the last few feet our of main drain what does that mean. did the pump lose its prime or where was the water going? if you can blow good amounts of air backwards it should be free. sometimes the lift in a deep pool is too much for a pool pump. a submersible pump or sump pump is what you want to finish it with. dont leave the pool exposed for too long in the sun it will deteriorate the plaster even more. draining for repairs is a spring or fall job ideally

Jimmy, thank you. If the pressure test can be done, I’ll try a little harder to find someone who can do it. Thanks for the advice on the tile and paint. The last two feet or so of water in the bowl would not go down. I would prime the pump, run it, and it would pull whatever was in the line till a small trickle remained. The height of the water never changed. I got a decent amount of bubbles when I blew air out of the line. I ended up using a sump pump and shopvac and that worked out great. Here’s some pictures of the valves and returns I have. Thanks!

Attachments

• 8FB7D7A9-EAE5-4579-ABFF-54CBBC9450E8.jpeg
    8FB7D7A9-EAE5-4579-ABFF-54CBBC9450E8.jpeg
    677.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 687BF9B5-F2A1-4A53-A65D-428CF3BCCC8D.jpeg
    687BF9B5-F2A1-4A53-A65D-428CF3BCCC8D.jpeg
    312.3 KB · Views: 6
You would have to do some digging to replace those valves. When you say they are cracked where are they cracked? The body is usually good you can change the tops and guts/gaskets. What type of ends are on the returns? Threaded or slip fit? You could thread plugs into the skimmer opening with tape dope and cap the returns if threaded the same way then shut off main drain. Use pump plug port for a pressure tester with Schrader valve and use air compressor to test. Otherwise if slip fitting you could try using valve to sell and see if it holds you mainly want to test suction side

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.