Need Pool Deck Renovation Advice - Milwaukee, WI

Jul 17, 2014
Milwaukee, WI
Hello everyone. I was wondering if I could get some advice. We recently moved into a 70+ year old home with a pool that was original to the house. The pool deck has been redone since it was built, but I am guessing between 20 - 30 years old. Pool is in good shape (other than it needs to be repainted).

There is some sort of Kool-Deck coating and at some point cuts were made to the deck to move the pool plumbing equipment that was never matched to the rest of the pool deck. Thus the overall pool deck is in need of some serious maintenance. However, we have done some extensive remodeling with the inside of the house and the quotes to replace the whole pool deck are ranging between $22k - $30k. Given all that, I would like to stretch the life of the existing pool deck by another 5 or so years with a much more cost effective solution to at least make it look presentable. So I would like to grind or plane off the top layer so I can resurface it and get on with some some the enhancements that I would like to do out there.

Attached are some of the pictures of the pool deck so you can get a sense of what I am up against. I am pretty handy and am going to attempt to do this as a DIY project. Right now what I am thinking of is to rent a Grinder or Scarifier (not sure which to use) to remove the top layer and then resurface with whole thing with some product system which would including a few different colorizing in different regions.

Any thoughts on my process or ability to resurface this pool deck? Product suggestions would greatly be appreciated. I am not married to replacing with Kool-Deck again, but preferably something that I could apply first coat with roll on or trowel and then be able to apply another coat with texture. I thought this video had a pretty nice process that seems something I could tackle - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CtGu9n1bH0.

Thank you!!!

WP_20160222_16_22_43_Pro.jpgWP_20140710_18_56_41_Pro.jpgWP_20140710_18_22_16_Pro.jpg

Hey there, and welcome to the forum!

I am far from a resto expert, but surely there are options costing less that 30K no? That's a substantial part of a new build cost. Hopefully you find a more friendly alternative. Best of luck, and I hope you enjoy the forum. Sorry you haven't gotten an answer before now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.