Need opinions on plumbing for new sand filter

JAndyD

Jun 18, 2018
Marshall/MO
Feel free to move this to the plumbing/pump section if that is the better place for it.

I have a 16 x 4 round Intex ultra frame pool that I upgraded to the 16 inch Intex sand filter pump this spring. I am currently using the small Hayward through the wall skimmer and the original Intex inlet eyeball, and I am Wondering if this set up is likely restricting the overall flow capability of this pump. I’ve been running it 4 hours a day and that doesn’t seem to be enough to keep it clear, so recently upped it to six hours a day..... just got to wondering if maybe there was too much restriction in the plumbing for this pump to be able to circulate as much as it can. I have another Intex eyeball as well as I have the Hayward eyeball that came with the skimmer that I could add to the system, just wondering what the recommendations are for how much more inlet I need to increase my circulation… And whether the single skimmer is going to be enough. It just has the 1 1/2” Intex hose coming out of the filter, but the Intex eyeball restricts the flow pretty good. I also have the option of using the smaller 1 1/4” ports that are left from the original suction ports for the original pump, that could be turned in to additional inlets without having to cut holes in the pool, but they are flanking the skimmer and probably wouldn’t be the best spot to promote good flow into the skimmer.

Any suggestions are welcome

Attachments

• 8659B543-4B40-4713-9E1D-1C49B3CDFE9A.jpeg
    8659B543-4B40-4713-9E1D-1C49B3CDFE9A.jpeg
    600.5 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
After thinking about it, the Intex eyeball is really the only restriction in the system. The hoses are all 1 1/2" and the skimmer just barely has any restriction at all.....I think I may try to ad in a second eyeball jet. I have never found an Intex 1 1/2" "T" fitting to split those hoses and run two off one port, so I am guessing I will have to make something to do that. If anyone has any suggestions along those lines it would be appreciated.

I have wondered about where to place the second eyeball. It would be nice to have it lower to help stir the bottom of the pool. Should I add a second layer of liner material with some vinyl cement before cut the hole? It would be nice to add the second layer with the hole already cut, and them use a hole saw in a drill (battery) to cut the inner layer and quickly plug the hole with the new port. I would hate to drain the pool to install a lower eyeball....but I don't want to blow out the side of my pool either.

Last edited:
Isn’t that black tube sticking out next to the skimmer already a return hole? Just enlarge it to use the bigger Intex fitting.
Yes, those are the original holes for suction. My original thought was I didn’t want to use those locations because I didn’t want to screw up the flow into the skimmer, but I guess if I point it down it may be ok.

I think I will give that a try. That restriction on the return side is also probably why my sand filter runs right at the top of the green on the pressure gauge.....from day 1 with new sand.

I just have to go wander around the hardware store and figure out how I am going to plumb it!

You can eliminate the Intex eyeball and install the one that came with the skimmer. I use the shut off valve from Intex with the standard eyball, you just have to use a second gasket because the threads aren't exactly the same as the eyeball threads. I also made a 90* fitting to get a flow around the pool.

IMG_20190601_160149339 (002).jpg

IMG_20180523_181903554.jpg

Hmmmm, I have already bought a bunch of stuff and started modding some fittings, but I will have to take apart that Hayward eyeball and see what the options are. What did you use to plug the old suction ports in the pool wall?

Hmmmm, I have already bought a bunch of stuff and started modding some fittings, but I will have to take apart that Hayward eyeball and see what the options are. What did you use to plug the old suction ports in the pool wall?

With the pool there should of been black plugs you can use temporarily. I used the Hayward through wall fittings and winterizing plugs for mine. You can see the empty wall fittings on the left side of the pic.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What pressure are you running at?
What is the clean filter pressure?
The system you have should be sufficient although the Intex pumps are notoriously lower in flow.
Are you making enough FC by running for 4 hours? Many times a clarity issue is a chemistry issue and not a filter or flow issue.

Last edited:
With the pool there should of been black plugs you can use temporarily. I used the Hayward through wall fittings and winterizing plugs for mine. You can see the empty wall fittings on the left side of the pic.
I have never used the Hayward fittings other than the skimmer, so I didn't realize they had a plug you could use to seal the port for winter. I am currently using the little rubber "hats" to plug the holes and that will be fine as long as someone doesn't knock or pull one out.

Reactions: Blacklisted
What pressure are you running at?
What is the clean filter pressure?
The system you have should be sufficient although the Intex pumps are notoriously lower in flow.
Are you making enough FC by running for 4 hours? Many times a clarity issue is a chemistry issue and not a filter or flow issue.
I believe it is at 10 psi...right at the top of the green on the pressure guage. Has been there from the beginning. I am not running salt water so the chemistry is up to me and the runtime is just about filtration. I just want the flow through the filter to be as efficient as possible when the pump is running, and an extra jet pointing low should help stir things up better too.

FINALLY got it all back together! After three trips for fittings (about 20 minute round trip each) ...... now I guess we will just have to see if it helps! It did lower the pressure slightly on the gauge....1-2 psi. E5396323-A32B-4B42-98A2-E95488870369.jpeg

Last edited:
FINALLY got it all back together! After three trips for fittings (about 20 minute round trip each) ...... now I guess we will just have to see if it helps! It did lower the pressure slightly on the gauge....1-2 psi. View attachment 105593

Why two pump discharges and only one intake(skimmer)? Am I seeing that correctly?

I have similar setup, 15'x48" with 16" 2450gph pump. Im using the over the rail skimmer not through wall. I have one pump discharge and two intakes... the over the rail skimmer and side inlet. The side inlet is throttled down about 50% using ball valve so skimmer has more suction. Everything is 1.5" Hayward/PVC. Besides my lack of plumbing skills causing small leaks, the only issue I have with circulation is eyeball direction placement. I think Ive finally found my sweet spot. I have to point mine down at 45 degrees and away from skimmer at 45. Works great with over rail skimmer and second benefit is it swirls all bottom debris in the center. I really only have to vacuum a 3' diameter area of the pool.

The Intex eyeball is restricted down to less than an inch diameter, so I wanted to add another port to allow the full volume to flow unrestricted out of the pump......trying to insure that the pump is moving as much water as it can. The skimmer is basically an unrestricted 1.5" line to the pump.....but the discharge was definitely restricted. The two jets are still a slight restriction over an open 1.5" pipe, but definitely better.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.