Need new cleaner. Replace Pentair Racer with same or alternative?

Oct 29, 2016
Spring/TX
Hi all. I have a Pentair Racer that is likely 10 years older or more. It came with my house and I've pretty much fixed every part of it once or twice, including plastic soldering 2 axles. Either way, the frame is finally destroyed and I'm considering a complete replacement with same or a different pressure side booster driven unit. I have a kidney shaped pool with steps. Medium sized at 15000 gallons. I have palm trees and leafy trees nearby so I get a lot of leaves and seeds. Overall, the Pentair does a good job but the frame is cheap plastic and a new Racer seems expensive. Thoughts on alternative products that would work as well for a better price?

I'll also add that I'm not averse to just buying another frame if I can find one. I've already done that once. However, for some reason the new Racer frame I bought was not exactly the same as the original one and I had to modify it to make it fit. If someone knows where to buy a new frame, I'll consider that as well.

Most around here would steer you towards a robot. I can't argue with that since I've never owned one. Happy with my suction cleaner for now and when it breaks will consider upgrading.

Thanks Mike. I'll be staying with a pressure side unit since mine works fine, but interested in alternatives to the Racer. I was reviewing the Polaris 280, which seems to be well liked and reasonably priced but several reviews suggest it doesn't do well on stairs or with small debris on the pool bottom, both of which I have.

I did some research last night and found a couple of spots for a new chassis for under 70 bucks. That may be the best way to go for now as long as the delivery is reasonable. I can rebuild the Racer with my eyes closed after having done it so many times.

Reactions: Rancho Cost-a-Lotta
I have a Polaris 380 that’s in it’s 15th year. The only part I’ve ever replaced on it is the debris bag. It works great and the thing I like the most about it is that I don’t even think about. It’s just there and it does it’s job. Based on what others have said about their robots scrubbing, I doubt that it cleans as well as those things do, but my water is crystal clear. And when a thunderstorm knocks a ton of leaves down into my pool, I know the Polaris can handle it without much intervention on my part.

Thanks Mike. I'll be staying with a pressure side unit since mine works fine, but interested in alternatives to the Racer. I was reviewing the Polaris 280, which seems to be well liked and reasonably priced but several reviews suggest it doesn't do well on stairs or with small debris on the pool bottom, both of which I have.

I did some research last night and found a couple of spots for a new chassis for under 70 bucks. That may be the best way to go for now as long as the delivery is reasonable. I can rebuild the Racer with my eyes closed after having done it so many times.
I'm in agreement with you guys if the parts are attainable I'd grab them and rebuild. Nothing like knowing your stuff with little effort you can have brand new second hand. I do that with polaris robotic cleaners too.

I am one who went from 25 years of using a Polaris 380 ( I think that’s the model )to a robot cleaner. Robots vacuum your pool and get a whole lot more out them leaves and small sticks but they aren’t cheap, especially since there seems to be a shortage
But when comparing cost also consider power cost, mine ran off pump pressure but I had to run my pump around 2900 rpms vs 2100.
But the robot has pleated filters and I am amazed at the fine junk it gets out when I rinse them out

Just offering input since I debated and just bought mine last year

Great info. Thanks all! I haven't considered a robot since I'm already set up with relatively new booster and the unit just runs daily for a couple of hours. I have a lot of leaves and seeds from winds and storms here in Houston so a daily cleaning is almost essential.

I clean my basket every 3 or so days and this is after I dumped the big stuff out.
I am in Atlanta and we have been having these crazy storm every day so more then normal but shows what it catches.
My Polaris never worked well with the fine net so would have spit all that back out

Attachments

• 2252E505-1E92-486D-8C78-C35007FF738C.jpeg
    2252E505-1E92-486D-8C78-C35007FF738C.jpeg
    523.6 KB · Views: 5
I checked my parts and found that I had bought 2 chassis for the Racer a few years ago, one for a complete rebuild at the time and a spare just in case. I also had enough spare parts to completely rebuild the Racer and get it working again. Good foresight I guess and $0 extra bucks spent. I'm off the races for another year or more but have a feeling I will revisit this decision again in a year or so. Thanks all for your comments.

Reactions: markayash

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I checked my parts and found that I had bought 2 chassis for the Racer a few years ago, one for a complete rebuild at the time and a spare just in case. I also had enough spare parts to completely rebuild the Racer and get it working again. Good foresight I guess and $0 extra bucks spent. I'm off the races for another year or more but have a feeling I will revisit this decision again in a year or so. Thanks all for your comments.
I thought I was the only one who did stuff like that 😀 Except I remember it after I buy it a 2nd time and find the part

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.