Need Ideas for Dolphin Dynamic

mickey4paws

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 10, 2009
S.E. MI
Hi everyone,
We have a Dolphin Dynamic robot that is about 10 years old. It came with the caddy and also has a remote control. The remote is what you use to change settings and the remote also has a joystick so you can manually move the robot if you want. Our pool is 39 feet long and just under 12 feet wide and is rectangular. The settings for shape of pool are set at rectangular but it does have round-elipse, octogon, hexogon and I think that's it. For length, my only choice is 40 feet and the next step down is 33 feet long.

The robot has been great all these years but has one problem that I'm hoping someone might come up with an idea how to fix. When the robot is set for climbing, it cleans the walls and also cleans the water line. The problem is when it's cleaning the water line and comes to a corner, it gets stuck in the corner. It's supposed to then go back down on its own. Instead, it stays on the waterline in the corner, the brushes still spinning like mad. It even marked up our old liner when it would get stuck. If I saw it get stuck, I could quickly use the joy stick to make it go back down to the floor. But I don't want to have to babysit it, and I would like it to be able to clean the walls.

Now we have a new liner and the last thing I want it to do is get stuck in the corner and keep spinning the brushes. The Dolphin is great at going around the returns, main drain, the skimmer and the ladder. So I thought if there was something I could put in the corners temporarily while it's climbing, that would be great. I was thinking maybe something made from PVC pipe that could hang down a couple of feet, so that when the Dolphin came to it, it would go back down to the floor. But I"d need something that could either sit on the coping (aluminum) or on the deck behind the coping.

We could live with it just cleaning the floor, but it would be nice to have it do the walls and waterline too. I'm calling to call Maytronics, but I imagine they probably won't want to help someone with a 10 year old robot.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I have attached a picture showing the corner (this was the old liner). Thanks!

Edit: So after writing this post, I went outside to find the Dolphin right next to the ladder up at the water line, stuck. It was not set for climbing. Now I'm wondering if I caused it. I have the pump going and because we've been adding CYA and our PH is low (7.1), I had turn the return eyes up so the water was pushing on the ladder. I changed direction of the eyes. I am wondering if perhaps the pump should not be going when running a robot cleaner?

Last edited:
I don’t think many people turn off their pump when running their robot cleaner. But it is worth a try to see if your robot behaves better with the pump off.

Reactions: mickey4paws
Thanks, Allen, we did try without the pump on the off chance that was causing it to get stuck in the corners. I think it just may be the nature of the beast with vinyl liners because they don't hug the top of the corners to the wall. I am still going to call Maytronics to see if they have any ideas. I found my manual from 10 years ago and it has every troubleshooting problem but mine. It did have something about moving the floats off the top of the handle and/or adding a weight inside the bag, but I don't know what that would do in my situation. The cleaner still works great on the bottom at least.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.