Need help with what chemicals I need

Dsw422

Aug 24, 2016
Skipwith
Hey guys,
Just got my pool set up for this year.. started to fill it and noticed I had a slight cut about a foot up from the bottom. When I noticed that, I let the water sit until I got a patch kit. Unfortunately I had to let it sit for about 3 weeks due to work and rain, so it had quite a bit of yuk in it.. I drained what I could and then filled it up.. finally today it has completes filling up. I have added 3 gallons of bleach (8% chlorine). It is a hazy green which I'm assuming is algae. I am running my pump (regular intex pump and filter) for 24 hours and cleaning the filter every 4 hours. How do I get rid and clean my pool.. i don't have the test kit y'all recommend and prolly won't be able to get it for a while since I'm very short funded. I have the Clorox test strip I used from last year (I kno).. what do y'all recommend to get this cleaned up. Thanks for any help

Well Dsw, I'm afraid without the test kit, or at least the "FAS-DPD" portion, it will be tough and most definitely guesswork. If you can't swing the entire TF-100 or Taylor K-2006, perhaps consider just the FAS-DPD portion so you can do the TFP "SLAM" (link below)/ When it comes to algae, you need to "SLAM", and you need the FAS-DPD to test FC at high & precise levels. Give those two things a loo and see if you can make it happen. Let us know if you have questions. Click here: FAS-DPD

Tests for Chlorine, Bromine, pH, Acid Demand, and Total Alkalinity.
Unfortunately, those tests from that kit won't really help. You could get a cheap 5-way kit from Wal-Mart to test the pH in preparation for the SLAM, but even this kit you found doesn't test CYA (stabilizer) which you need to know so you can match-up the proper FC (free chlorine) level. I doubt the FAS-DPD kit is available locally either. It's simply the best way we know of here at TFP to test FC at levels about 5 ppm which you will need to kill algae.

Dsw, the K-2006 is a great kit and we recommend it. What jagger is referring to is that there is a K-2006"C" versions (commercial) which includes larger reagent bottles for a better value and will last longer. More here: Pool School - Test Kits Compared

So if you were to get the Taylor Kit, we recommend the 2006 (C) version. But between that or the TF-100, you can't go wrong.

Yes. It sounds like you drained a lot of the water so you should not have a lot of CYA - so that is a good thing. The kit is great for maintaining a pool. However, when you are trying to clear a green pool with a SLAM you need to test often to keep your FC at the recommended level for SLAM, so you end up using a lot of drops for the FAS-DPD test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That is guys for the info.. I'll see if I can find the money to get one the kits y'all recommend..

On a side note, the pool was set up roughly 3-4 weeks ago since I took it down for the winter. This means it has water with no chemicals except 3 gallons of bleach (8% chlorine). I uses my well water to fill it up which also means no chemicals.. based on this info and knowing I have a large intex pool ( I think it's like 10000 gallons) can I go ahead and dump in more bleach? I also have Clorox brand stabilizer (cya????), borax, and baking soda.

DSW, I will help you out until the pros come in for reinforcement.
You should see a resource called Pool Math. Along with reading and asking for advice, Pool Math is where even the pros go to determine how much chemicals to add. At the bottom of page is a place to estimate how many gallons for a pool. I entered your sig info and got 9400. So you are real close with 10k.
If you go back to the top of Pool Math page you can enter your gallons. So we know you have 0 CYA if you have not added any. Enter 0 in Now of the CYA section and 30 in the target. For 10k gallons it calculates you need 40 oz - 2.5 lbs.

Your other priority is pH. Do you have anything to test that right now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

did the Clorox test and found my numbers..

Total hardness- 110
Total chlorine-10
Free chlorine- 5
Ph-6.2
TA- 120
Stabilizer-0

With this info, I added 40 oz of stabilizer, and the rest of the borax I had (95% of a big box).. still nees to get more borax according to pool math..

Question, is having too much chlorine a problem?

Hi! :wave: Too much chlorine (FC) can be an issue when there is little to no CYA because the FC is more harsh without protection. But as long as you used the Poolmath calculator to determine how much stabilizer you needed for a CYA target of 30, you'll be fine. Once you get the FAS-DPD portion of a test kit to test FC above 5, you'll be able to really do things accurately. Keep working on the pH to get it to at least 7.2. The low 7s is fine since we're assuming you need to perform a SLAM to clear-out any remaining algae from after your drain and refill.

Everything else from here forward really hinges on accurate FC testing. With a projected CYA of 30, your SLAM FC level will be "12" and the FAS-DPD is the only product that can give you that number.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.