need help with pump setting

I'm getting ready to take over maintenance from the pool company I hired to get me started with the initial maintenance. The pool guy set my pump to run at 2550 rpm from 8am to 5pm. I noticed that there was a preset for another time at 1725 rpm that was not enabled and I asked him about that. He said that my pool is too big for that speed and it would interfere with the other setting and not to use it. My pool is 16 x 27 and only 5 feet deep on the deep end. (13,000 gallons) From what I've read on this forum, it seems like the lower setting should be just fine, but now I'm second guessing myself so wanted to get some other opinions on what I was thinking for my pump schedule.

Here is what I was thinking about doing: From 11am to 4 pm run the pump at a setting of 1725 rpm (possibly even lower) and from 6pm to 9pm run it at 2550 rpm. This would be the time I would be getting home from work and would test and add needed chemicals. That would be a total runtime of 8 hours a day. Does this sound good? Thanks in advance for your help!

Welcome to TFP:wave: I do not have a VS pump but most of the folks here run their pump at the least setting possible. I see that you do not have SWG so I would recommend testing till you just about get skimmer action, this is usually @ 800-900 rpm and then set it 100-200 rpm higher. Hopefully others will chime in. Hope this helps:cheers:

I run my variable speed pump at 1000 rpm's for most of the day (15 hrs). The only time I run it any higher is when I vacuum my pool. I turn it on for 30 minutes to 3250 rpm's so I get really good suction. If you get a lot foliage and need to skim the surface of the pool, you could run it for a couple of hours at higher speed, but it's really unnecessary.

Brenda,

I run my pool at 1200 rpm most of the time... I have never increased the speed just to add chemicals.

If this were my pool I would try 1200 and see if I liked it.. I would also set up speeds of (about) 1800 and 2200 for use if I wanted to do some extra skimming... You could then adjust those speeds to suit your needs... Running too slow is almost never an problem...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.