Northwestern NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-30
When I ordered my pool, before finfing TFP, I also ordered a bunch of "common sense" checmicals.... well, sometimes common sense is misguided.

Now that I know a little better I'm need to help to identify some of the Crud I got and find out how to dispose of it.

From picture one (left to right):
- Ammonium chloride (10%) based algaecide - I know it doesn't belong in the pool, but how to dispose of it?
- pH Plus (Sodium Carbonate) - I know I'm better of with Borax, but is it garbage? If so, how to dispose of it?
- Super Clarifier (unknown ingredients) - I know it doesn't belong in the pool, but how to dispose of it?
- Chlorine Stabilizer (CYA) - What is the usual self life of granular CYA?
- AlkaDown/pH Down (Sodium Bisulfate) - Seems to be an issue with SW systems, but is it that bad? If so, how to dispose of it?
- Alkalinity Plus (Sodium Hydrogen Carbonate) - I know I'm better of with either Baking Soda or Borax (depending on pH), but is it garbage? If so, how to dispose of it?

From picture two (also left to right)
- Winter Oxy Plus - MPS? Seems chlorine is easier... but could I still use it somehow? If not, how to dispose of it?
- Sequestering Compound - (unknown ingredients) Does anyone has an idea of what this is?
- Dry Granular Winterize - (unknown ingredients) Does anyone has an idea of what this is?

Note: I don't know if this post belongs to "Just Getting Started", but couldn't find a better place for it.

Attachments

• IMG_2799.jpg
    IMG_2799.jpg
    585.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2798.jpg
    IMG_2798.jpg
    582.2 KB · Views: 6
In my pre-TFP life I found the AkaDown ph Down stuff to be useless. Though that may have been that my water chemistry was so far out of whack, and my testing methods so poor, that it just wasn't registering properly. I found my result much better with muriatic acid.

Same with anything that claimed to raise Ph/Alkalinity.

As far as disposal, I would check local regulations related to disposing of hazardous materials. Maybe this stuff doesn't qualify, but many places have free drop of locations for this kind of thing to keep folks from flushing, pouring down the drain or flat throwing in the garbage. So I would look into that. But one thing is for certain....I would put NONE of it in my pool!!

Sodium Hydrogen Carbonate is sodium bicarbonate aka Baking soda - Keep

pH Plus (Sodium Carbonate) is Washing Soda - Keep

CYA - Keep

Get rid of the rest. It’s a bit of a moral quandary... you could sell or give away it all on FB Marketplace/Craigslist to someone on the Pool Store roller coaster... or if you can’t bring yourself to do that to someone, local hazardous waste disposal is it. :)

Alk & ph + & - are fine to use up as well as granular stabilizer (if granular products don’t get wet the shelf life is infinite I suppose)
toss all the rest
We have a hazardous waste drop off in our are a couple times a year. Check w/ your municipality.

Reactions: magiteck
- Ammonium chloride (10%) based algaecide - ❌
- pH Plus (Sodium Carbonate) - I know I'm better of with Borax ✅ <see chart below> This is Washing Soda
- Super Clarifier (unknown ingredients) - ❌
- Chlorine Stabilizer (CYA) - ✅ Lasts long time
- AlkaDown/pH Down (Sodium Bisulfate) - ⚠️
- Alkalinity Plus (Sodium Hydrogen Carbonate) - ✅ Use as Baking Soda

- Winter Oxy Plus - MPS? ❌
- Sequestering Compound - (unknown ingredients) ⚠️
- Dry Granular Winterize - ✅ Chlorine....but check ingredients

⚠️ This depends on if you actually need those? Sequestrant for metals, Bisulfate is ok if you have vinyl and NO SWG.

All the rest you can offer up free on Craigs List or dispose of them however your city handles chemical waste?

Screen Shot 2020-03-29 at 12.20.08 PM.png

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Mdragger88
Isn’t it neat how they can use fancy alternative chemical names for baking soda and then charge 10x more for it?

Ive got 13,000 gallons of clean dihydrogen monoxide in my back yard if anyone wants to buy some. Only $1 per gallon, it’s a steal.

Isn’t it neat how they can use fancy alternative chemical names for baking soda and then charge 10x more for it?

Ive got 13,000 gallons of clean dihydrogen monoxide in my back yard if anyone wants to buy some. Only $1 per gallon, it’s a steal.
Be careful 100% of people who died drunk that stuff.

- Ammonium chloride (10%) based algaecide - ❌
- pH Plus (Sodium Carbonate) - I know I'm better of with Borax ✅ <see chart below> This is Washing Soda
- Super Clarifier (unknown ingredients) - ❌
- Chlorine Stabilizer (CYA) - ✅ Lasts long time
- AlkaDown/pH Down (Sodium Bisulfate) - ⚠️
- Alkalinity Plus (Sodium Hydrogen Carbonate) - ✅ Use as Baking Soda

- Winter Oxy Plus - MPS? ❌
- Sequestering Compound - (unknown ingredients) ⚠️
- Dry Granular Winterize - ✅ Chlorine....but check ingredients

⚠️ This depends on if you actually need those? Sequestrant for metals, Bisulfate is ok if you have vinyl and NO SWG.

All the rest you can offer up free on Craigs List or dispose of them however your city handles chemical waste?

View attachment 337352

Yes, I have vinyl and no SWG.... SWG maybe down the road, but not in next couple years as it voids my AGP warranty.

No metals in the water.

The "Dry Granular Winterize" does not say what it is.... the only thing in that box that lists active ingredients is the MPS.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Then dont keep that Winterizing mystery.
I won’t. I was just trying to figure out what it is… kind of hard to dispose without knowing what is in it…. I may just throw everything into a bucket (not at the same time ) and let it evaporate.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.