Need help with filter system replacement suggestions.

Beantown843

May 13, 2019
Mt Pleasant, SC
I need some recommendations and suggestions on replacing my pool cartridge filter. I currently have a 15 year old Hayward single stack cartridge filter (see pic) that is breaking apart and I can no longer unscrew it to get to the inside filter. I am looking for some recommendations to replace the system and price is one of my deciding factors. I just replaced my controller and pool light and now a filter pump is an unexpected expense. I've have read all the information on the 3 different kinds of filters and it seems as though a cartridge filter would be the best choice with respect to cost and maintenance. My pool is a 20K gl fiberglass pool with a 1hp pump. ( I know the pump is probably underpowered) and I value everyone's input as to what they would suggest for an efficient but cost effective replacement for my filter and any suggestions on where to purchase. Thank you in advance.

Vr
EdIMG_3272.jpg
EdIMG_3273 (1).jpg

What is the SF of the current filter? Has it worked well? How often do you have to clean the filter? Do you keep the pool open year around?

For your size pool, we would normally recommend a 400SF cartridge filter, at least. That should allow you to only clean the filters twice a year, with normal debris and no algae.

What is the SF of the current filter? Has it worked well? How often do you have to clean the filter? Do you keep the pool open year around?

For your size pool, we would normally recommend a 400SF cartridge filter, at least. That should allow you to only clean the filters twice a year, with normal debris and no algae.
Thank you Mknauss, I will check the SF of the filter in the am. Do you have any suggestions on a cost friendly 400SF cartridge system?

The current system has worked ok, I inherited the pool a year ago and know that it was built 15 years ago. I was cleaning the cartridge about once a month but that is because I am a novice and am just learning about caring for a pool. I do not keep the pool open year round but will keep it uncovered during the "winter" here in SC which does not get below freezing very often. looking forward to your suggestions.

Vr
Ed

Filters are pretty generic. There may be an off brand (not Pentair or Hayward) that may be a little less cost.

Your issue may be size. If you get a bigger filter, it will physically be bigger. And your pad is pretty compact. So rearrangement will be necessary.

I clean my filter once a year. It runs every day. I would go crazy cleaning it once a month!!

Filters are pretty generic. There may be an off brand (not Pentair or Hayward) that may be a little less cost.

Your issue may be size. If you get a bigger filter, it will physically be bigger. And your pad is pretty compact. So rearrangement will be necessary.

I clean my filter once a year. It runs every day. I would go crazy cleaning it once a month!!
Thank you for suggesting I get a 400sf filter that will be helpful. Do you have any suggestions or experience with makes and models of 400sf filter systems that can help me make a informed decision on what to get for my situation. Thanks again!!

Like I said, filters are pretty basic creatures. Pentair and Hayward are the major players. InyoPools sells Waterway brand. They may be a bit cheaper. I assume you will be installing this your self.

Like I said, filters are pretty basic creatures. Pentair and Hayward are the major players. InyoPools sells Waterway brand. They may be a bit cheaper. I assume you will be installing this your self.

I would like to install myself. I think it looks pretty simple...saw off pvc to old filter, fit, glue and attach pvc to new filter.. done. Am I wrong? thanks for the suggestion to inyopools I appreciate that! That is what I am looking for, peoples suggestions to what I need to what they have had experience or knowledge with. Suggestions from anyone else is appreciated.

Vr
Ed

Installation is pretty simple. Just need to make the room for one if you get something bigger. And be sure to properly install the inlet and outlet. You would be surprised how many filters we find have been installed backwards ---

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.