Need help to fix a botched concrete pool deck job

Jun 30, 2018
St. George/UT
We finished construction of our pool in June. The concrete pool deck is awful. The wrong color was poured, the curvature of the decking is wavy and it already has deep, long cracking. Can anyone help me figure out the best options to repair this disaster without having to tear it all out? I've been researching and it seems like resurfacing just ends up peeling, chipping, flaking and cracking. Is there a resurfacing that will actually last? Sundek? Kooldeck? We live in Southern Utah where we are limited in good contractors. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_2446.jpg
    IMG_2446.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_2447.jpg
    IMG_2447.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_2448.jpg
    IMG_2448.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_2449.jpg
    IMG_2449.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Shannon,

The deck kind of has a old fashioned or rough look to it, so It almost makes the wavy edge look like it is supposed to be there.. I think once you have grass in there you won't even notice it.

The crack on the other hand does not look like it is supposed to be there. I have only a little experience with crack repair and I have had zero luck with making a patch that does not look like a patch... Sigh!! :mrgreen:

Let's see if some of our other members have some ideas...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Pv2
I do like the wavy look of the edge. Looks more organic than some straight edges.
It's pretty impossible to match new concrete to the color of weathered older concrete. It seems to match the color of the coping.
I could get used to the color. The crack on the other hand ...... No clue

Reactions: shannnon
I can promise you the wavy edges were purposely put there by the builder. Your concrete appears textured to resemble stone, so those edges appear organic. The crack is more problematic. All concrete cracks. It just does. You can resurface with an epoxy coating, but it will eventually crack along with the concrete beneath it. If it is of any consolation, I like what I see in your photos. Put in some landscaping along those edges and they will blend in nicely.

Fellow by the name of Mike Haduck has a channel on YouTube with some really good old timey masonry advice about making bad/cracked concrete look new again (for a season or two) before trying again. Well worth a watch. It’s repeatable, easy, and cheap

Last edited:
That long crack is concerning as it happened so soon after the pour. Almost like they didn't prep the ground properly. Was there any rebar put in or just gravel? It's hard to get a size perspective with that picture can you take a zoomed out pic of that area with the crack? I didn't see a lot of relief cuts in the concrete around there.

Reactions: imagineero
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.