Need Help -Houston

mojo1980

Gold Supporter
Feb 1, 2019
Tenn
All-

Hi I need assistance with finding a structural engineer who works with pools. We don't require them in Houston so many do not know pools well.

I need gunite inspected im in my remodel and have severe issues.

Can you describe the issues?

I'm not in Houston, and don't work on pools (other than my own), but I do QA/QC for shotcrete (gunite) in underground mines as part of my job. It's possible I could give a little guidance or perspective if I knew more about the situation.

Reactions: YippeeSkippy
Ah, I think I remember your other thread now.

Not that it really matters, but it's unlikely that's a cold joint, especially if it was shot instead of formed in place. When two pieces of concrete set at different times fail at the contact it's usually blamed on a cold joint, but in my experience it's almost always due to a failure to properly prep the surface.

If it were me I'd chip off everything above the "cold joint", clean and prep the surface really well, build forms, apply a bond coat, and then pour a new cap with high strength concrete. You could also shoot it instead (shotcrete/gunite), which would be slightly stronger in a perfect world, but also creates a lot more opportunity for errors/problems. Pouring in place is a bit harder to mess up. Once you have the new cap, make sure you apply a high quality waterproofing everywhere.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.