Need Help - Remodel Glass Tile

mojo1980

Gold Supporter
Feb 1, 2019
Tenn
All-

Pool Facts:

* Pool is 3.5 years Old. Please see attached pictures for efforescence outside spa.
*No waterproof was installed inside spa, top and outer side only
*Around suction pipe no Hydrolic cement was used; we took off gate found and fixed two months ago
*On build our spa was 1' too high please note the pipes are all the way up in spa infiniti worried micro shatter

We tested our plumbing PSI 25 for 15 minutes; again PSI 40 for 30 minutes dropped 2 psi begging only

As it stands currently seeing small cracks. When we lift off thinset. Its wet where thinset and gunite meet. Can this be from no waterproofer hydrolic pressure, the water is where the

* We are seeing per picture below up to 1.5" of thinset is this thinset or cement? Is that right I was expecting 3/16 when taken off.
*We are testing pipe one more time when everything is ground down. I will post a video when done would like opinion later tonight, are the cracks normal?

I do not believe the issues related to the plumbing but a pressure test would obviously confirm that.

I believe this to be a waterproofing issue. I don't understand why only the top and negative side of the spa wall were waterproofed but not the interior.

It also sounds like there have been a lot of issues during the construction so who really knows what was compromised during the process

Reactions: mojo1980
Here is the removal of cement and tile and damaged gunite. The back wall edge wasn't cured properly hence crack.

I have pictures to gunite sub, leak detector rechecking the plumbing on the spa. I used CMP jet arrays and will check air and water lines one more time. Let me know thoughts guys. Im saying hard to believe these huge cracks aren't from plumbing, however there was raw gunite and water getting in from no hydraulic cement around spa suction pipe left on gunite alone. The inside wasn't waterproofed.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looks like upper water pipe cracked around gunite guy knows and pool builder know quit talking during my build. They stopped working together after my build. The guys working are saying plumbing and trashed crack is pretty much all around.

You agree plumbing? Not sure what rebound means

Not sure what rebound means

When shotcrete/gunite is applied, some of the particles bounce off and land elsewhere. This is called rebound, and is waste material, but some (too many) pool builders scoop it up and use it to form the tops/corners of steps, benches, spa walls, etc.

And I agree with Brian, looks like they shot the spa wall too short, and then built it up using rebound.

She this be warrantied structurally trying to get a forensics engineer/structural out. They reshot after they jackhammered because they made it too tall the first time this looks cracked almost.

What’s the fix is there one or start over?

Chip back to where it's solid, more than likely epoxy more rebar, clean, prep, bonding agent and reshoot making sure no rebound is used. I almost wonder if forms and poured in place high PSI concrete would be a better option.

You really need a structural engineer to oversee this.

I do not like dry mix gunite. Geometric pools and perimeter edges leave a ton of rebound with plenty of opportunities to reuse it

Last edited:
Yep I agree I will get one, called around today for forensic engineer/structural engineer. Pool company seems sympathetic to situation and wanting to help.

Thanks to all TFPers for assistance heck on normal joes not in business to figure out.

Thank You!

I got a structural engineer they are coming tuesday. Worried gunite will dry by then.

The pool company is saying it’s normal and that’s just the cold joint everything is soaked on the bottom left side by jet

Whether it's wet or not doesn't matter, it's the Integrity of the Gunite.

It's actually almost difficult to make a cold joint with Gunite. That's one of the biggest advantages of using it.

My guess is that rebound was used and the lack of waterproofing behind the tile allowed the water to get in and erode the sand/aggregate on its way out the other side.

Did I mention I don't like gunite??

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.