Vienna, VA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
Hello. I recently replaced the start capacitor in my AO Smith SQ1102. Before I replaced it, it was making a humming noise for a few seconds before pulling the water in, but once the water was in, I'm pretty sure the humming went away. After replacing the capacitor, it seemed to be back to normal. But then a day later, and since then, while it starts right away, it's now much louder than it used to be and it sustains this loud noise as long as it's turned on.

I recorded a video to help you identify this noise:

Is this a bearings issue?

I should add that I'm replacing this pump, but the new one won't get here until next week. With the noise you hear, how long do you think the current one will last?

Its hard to say how long the motor will last making that noise. It could go like this for months or it could seize up the next time it runs. If it does go out before the new pump arrives you can add liquid chlorine manually and brush the pool to mix it in until the new pump is installed.

Thanks @Mike1162 ! I'm not sure what to look for. Here are some pictures. Do you see anything out of place? Is that plastic capacitor cover in the wrong spot?

Attachments

• IMG_0209.jpeg
    IMG_0209.jpeg
    473.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0210.jpeg
    IMG_0210.jpeg
    423.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0211.jpeg
    IMG_0211.jpeg
    427.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0212.jpeg
    IMG_0212.jpeg
    405.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0217.jpeg
    IMG_0217.jpeg
    352.6 KB · Views: 11
Everything looks OK to me except the yellow wire above the capacitor has a break in the insulation. I'd put some electrical tape on that & make sure its not getting pinched when the cover goes back on. Does the motor shaft spin freely?

You'll find out when you replace it. It could be impeller hitting the diffuser, or motor bearings. I doubt its the cap. To me it sounds like a saw which can lead me to checking the impeller first the replacing the motor.

The yellow and red wires need to be tucked in under the capacitor between the stands.

When the centrifugal switch weights swing out during full rotation, the weights can catch on the wires and rip them loose.

1629511426792.png

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.