Need help identifying high head motor

lecnt

Jun 25, 2011
Hi,

I need to replace my motor for a WhiperFlo pump. I read up a little bit about what high head pump means and I (more or less) understand it. :) I also read that the motors for them usually have a run capacitor and thicker wiring.

My question is: how can I tell if a motor is high head when I look for one? What do I need to look for other than the horsepower? How can I tell the difference between run capacitor and start capacitor?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-LEC

Normal pool pumps are high head pumps. What is this pump for?

If you are asking about a motor replacement then post a pic of the current motor data plate. You just need to get a motor with the same specifications.

It's not too old, about 4-5 years old.

I've read that looking at the horsepower only might not be enough. That's why I'm so confused, not sure what else I need to look for. :)
My pool company wanted to replace it with a 1.5 HP Century motor but I was afraid it's not high head and it would break sooner because it has to work harder.

Here's the current motor data plate:

motor.jpg

FYI, that motor is a Century motor relabeled by Pentair.

You see “Century, Tipp City, Ohio” below the wiring diagram.

Why are you so concerned with high head? the Whisperflo is a high head pump and that has more to do with the pump and impeller than the actual motor.

Is this just a standard pool pump or does it power something in particular?

There are no high head motors. Motors are not rated by head, just by horsepower and speed in rpm.

As noted, the pump design determines if the pump is high head or not.

You need a two-speed motor where the high speed horsepower is a total of 1.65 hp. Total hp is the rated hp x the service factor.

The motor is 230 volts, square flange, 56Y frame, two-sped 3450/1725 rpm.

Do you change speeds using a switch on the back of the motor or some other way?

Does the solar automatically switch from low speed to high speed?

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What's wrong with the motor?

Maybe it just needs a capacitor or there's a power supply problem?

If you do need a new motor, you need to make sure that the new motor comes with a high/low toggle switch if that's what you have now.

Ideally, if you have solar, you would leave it on low speed and have the solar controller change the speed to high when solar is activated.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.