Need help identifying fitting

crowfive

Jul 9, 2019
Nor-cal
I have a vinyl pool with fiberglass stairs. There is a fitting on the stairs that needs a gasket replaced as it's rotting, but I can't figure out what the fitting is. This fitting is hooked up to be used to add water to the pool, but I also have no idea if that's what its intended purpose is. I'm posting some pictures and some measurements in the hopes that someone here will know what I should be looking for as far as a gasket and if I should be able to remove the fitting? I'm hoping it will unscrew, but I haven't attempted that yet since I don't have a replacement gasket. Ideally I would replace the fitting as well since it's looking pretty janky. Here are the pics:
20190709_134229.jpg
20190709_134217.jpg
20201008_101432.jpg
20201008_101439.jpg
Measurements for the fitting are:
  • Opening: 7/8th
  • Flange diameter: 1 5/8th
If anybody has any insight or information on what I should be looking for I'd really appreciate it.

JamesW

TFP Expert
Mar 2, 2011
It's probably an air intake for the return to the left. Don't try to remove it as any force will likely cause a leak.

crowfive

Jul 9, 2019
Nor-cal
It's probably an air intake for the return to the left. Don't try to remove it as any force will likely cause a leak.

It's used as a water fill for the pool and its hooked up to a sprinkler valve. If I shouldn't remove the fitting, how would I change the gasket on this?
edit: grammar

Last edited:

crowfive

Jul 9, 2019
Nor-cal
Well, with the gasket, I was just trying to replace what was there. I guess I could just use silicone to seal it, but is that a viable solution and something that is commonly done? Mostly, I just don't want it to look as bad as it does with the rotten rubber smearing everywhere.

Do you think there really isn't a way to replace that fitting easily since the fitting isn't looking that great either?

Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.