Need help, high TDS before salt conversion

Kenfuzed

Jun 14, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
I need some help because I’m not trusting the water test jockey at the store. I am going to convert to salt but when I went to the pool store to pre test levels they said my TDS is already too high @ 3000 ppm and needs to be drained. I’ve seen some posts saying TDS is meaningless but what else should I be looking for as to whether to drain or not.
Parameters seem good:
FC 4, CYA 50, pH 8, TA 80, CH (high end, don’t have that # in front of me now). Pool is clear with no issues. I have only dosed with liquid chlorine for 2 years when I bought the house, never drained pool. Water has probably not been drained in at least 5 years. 10,000 gal pool w/ pebbletech. Cartridge filtration and filters were replaced 18 months ago. I live in Las Vegas so the water is already very hard if that matters.

Pool store guy was useless, said my water wasn’t worth testing with that high TDS, stuck a test strip in the sample and said “you’re good bro” and dumped the sample without giving any numbers. I have all the equipment for my salt conversion and was hoping to do the installation this weekend.

Jimrahbe

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX
Ken,

Most likely you already have a lot more salt in your pool than you realized.

Find out what your salt level is even if it is not a saltwater pool..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Kenfuzed

Jun 14, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
Thanks Jim I’ll have to go to another store and find a test kit for the salt. I don’t want to drain if I don’t have to, especially since this system was never plumbed for draining and I’d have to run 100’ of hose out to the nearest cleanout.

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
Even though the TDS is a bogus parameter, CH is not.....especially where you live. If it is really high (600+), perhaps a partial drain and refill will help. Your pH is too high as well

That said, we wont trust ANY pool store testing.....flat out unreliable

If you are up to installing an SWG, you should be up to doing your own testing with a good test kit.....Either Taylor K-2006C or TFTestkits TF-100. That should be your VERY first move.

It's almost impossible to give good advice without test results we can trust with YOU doing the tests.