Need Help Configuring New Pump, Cartridge Filter, SWC,ETC Advice

chadsc90

May 5, 2019
Chesapeake
Good evening all. First and foremost thank you to everyone who takes the time to help this eof us who don't know out ! You're appreciated ! We bought our house with a pool going on 3 years ago. Its currently chlorine but the wife wants salt so the wife gets salt. After doing as much home work on the subject as I can, I'm at a stopping point. I don't know how to route/plumb all the new components in. The pool has a SS Hayward 1 HP pump, going to a Triton sand filter as well as a Polaris booster pump. I've bought a Pentair CCP420, CircuPool RJ-60 PLUS SWC, and need some guidance on which Pentair VS pump to buy? I've 1.5" piping, to strainers, 3 jets on one side of the pool and 4 jets at the stairs depending on which way the valve is turned. I've always winterized the pool but I would really just like to cover it up and put the pump on a switch where it kicks on if if gets below a certain temp. I haven't done that yet because it costs a fortune to run the pump. I'd like to upgrade everything and not shortchange it. I'll list my questions. I am sorry this is all over the place. I'll include pictures if that helps any. Oh and its 220V and I don't want to automate it or I don't feel the need to do so.

Whats the best way to plumb everything in (I can expand the footprint of the filtration spot if need be)

What Pentair VS pump should I buy? Going to run year round

Am I missing anything? I've read the valve I have are garbage and should upgrade but to what and where ?

Thank you for your time!IMG_5557.JPGIMG_2666.JPGIMG_5734.JPGIMG_6964.JPGIMG_9401.JPG

Just so you understand, a salt pool IS a chlorine pool. You are generating chlorine from the salt. It is of course very different in maintenance routine, but you still have chlorine in the water.
Your salt cell should be the last equipment the water goes through before returning to the pool. In your case, between the filter and return valve.
As for which pump, I would say any would be a vast improvement. It's a matter of choice, but it looks like you have a pretty basic setup so the 3 programmable speeds of the superflo would probably do.

Just so you understand, a salt pool IS a chlorine pool. You are generating chlorine from the salt. It is of course very different in maintenance routine, but you still have chlorine in the water.
Your salt cell should be the last equipment the water goes through before returning to the pool. In your case, between the filter and return valve.
As for which pump, I would say any would be a vast improvement. It's a matter of choice, but it looks like you have a pretty basic setup so the 3 programmable speeds of the superflo would probably do.
Ok, thank you for the direction. I did know that salt is chlorine.

Chad,

The first thing I would do is disconnect what is there and pour a concrete equipment pad 3 or 4 inches thick to keep your new equipment off the ground. If you do that, do NOT pour around any of the pipes, make sure they are off to one side of the pad.

I would buy a Pentair pump. They really only have two VS pumps.. The 3 HP IntelliFlo VS and the 1.5 HP SuperFlo VS. The larger the HP the more water you can move at a lower RPM. I personally have the IntelliFlo and run it 24/7, mostly at 1200 RPM and my total electrical cost is less than $20 bucks a month.

The CCP 420 cartridge filter is a great filter unless you have algae all the time.. It is a cartridge filter and cannot be back washed. Without algae, you probably will only need to clean it once a year.. I would assume you will still have to close your pool in the winter.. Do others in your area not close their pools?

Of course if you follow the TFP pool care process, you won't get algae.. :mrgreen:

I will post a simple plumbing diagram later tonight or tomorrow..

Note that with a Cartridge filter you will not need the multiport valve (MPV)..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:
Reactions: chadsc90
Chad,

The first thing I would do is disconnect what is there and pour a concrete equipment pad 3 or 4 inches thick to keep your new equipment off the ground. If you do that, do NOT pour around any of the pipes, make sure they are off to one side of the pad.

I would buy a Pentair pump. They really only have two VS pumps.. The 3 HP IntelliFlo VS and the 1.5 HP SuperFlo VS. The larger the HP the more water you can move at a lower RPM. I personally have the IntelliFlo and run it 24/7, mostly at 1200 RPM and my total electrical cost is less than $20 bucks a month.

The CCP 420 cartridge filter is a great filter unless you have algae all the time.. It is a cartridge filter and cannot be back washed. Without algae, you probably will only need to clean it once a year.. I would assume you will still have to close your pool in the winter.. Do others in your area not close their pools?

Of course if you follow the TFP pool care process, you won't get algae.. :mrgreen:

I will post a simple plumbing diagram later tonight or tomorrow..

Note that with a Cartridge filter you will not need the multiport valve (MPV)..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thank you Jim ! I'll get the pad poured this week. Just ordered the Intelliflo 3HP VS. Algae has never been an issue in the past. Some people close their pools and some leave them open. We really haven't had many long hard freezes over the last few years. I do follow the TFP and utilize the app.

Suggestions on different valves I should use and their placement ? I know I no longer need the multivalve with the cartridge filters but It seems everyone else has a diff valve for every piece of equipment that’s plumbed in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.