Need Help Choosing Pump/Filter

emhia8

Jul 9, 2019
Pennsylvania
Hello! Been reading through the forums for a while but this is my first thread. I'm looking to order an inground pool kit online within the upcoming months and have it installed (not by me.) I was looking on the Royal Pools website, and one thing I could not determine was how you know if a pump and filter will work together. I tried researching this online and am still confused! I know there is something with the diameter of the pump and filter (1.5", 2"?) where one has to be larger than the other, and something with GPM? I'm very confused! Looking at a 14x28 rectangle pool with a 42" shallow end and 6' deep end. Could anyone offer recommendations on how to pair a pump and a filter? Thanks!

Check the warranty if your not using an “approved installer”. My opinion ( i am not an expert ) is so big on the filter. Just from my personal experience. My first cartridge was “ recommended” and i had to clean it all the time. Now i have a huge 4 cartridge filter for my 18k pool
Also just converted to a vs speed and love it, saves money on power and is a lot quieter
I bought my pump from inyo

Check the warranty if your not using an “approved installer”. My opinion ( i am not an expert ) is so big on the filter. Just from my personal experience. My first cartridge was “ recommended” and i had to clean it all the time. Now i have a huge 4 cartridge filter for my 18k pool
Also just converted to a vs speed and love it, saves money on power and is a lot quieter
I bought my pump from inyo
Thanks for the reply! Got a quote from a local installer today that was $5k cheaper than the other ones I received... Definitely reconsidering the “order online” route. I did not realize that the warranty of the pump would be voided if it is not installed by an actual installer... Something to think about.

I did not realize that the warranty of the pump would be voided
Only Jandy and Pentair. I believe Hayward has changed their warranty coverage, but check. Inyopools, Circupool, others have 18 month warranties on DIY install.

Generally, look at the specs of the pump and filter. Be sure the maximum GPM of the filter exceeds the maximum GPM of the pump by a good margin (since its GPM will be reduced as it collects dirt.) And as markayash mentioned, bigger is better for the filter. Think in terms of your home HVAC. A larger return air filter runs longer between replacements and offers less air resistance. I'm also relatively certain the larger diameter pipe is preferable pretty much all the time. I don't know other brands, but Pentair gives only a 60 day warranty if not installed by an authorized installer. Warranty matters. After six months I had a cracked manifold in my Pentair C&C 420 filter. Installed by pool builder and registered, Pentair shipped me a replacement. And you do want a variable speed pump. I think there are a few places that require it (probably in California and New York!) It makes sense in any case. A Pentair VSF pump running at 1/2 speed uses 1/8 the kwh of full speed, so if you run the pump at 1/2 speed for twice as long you still spend only 1/4 as much on electricity. Also at 1/2 speed the Pentair VSF is so quiet, you almost can't hear it at all. I definitely don't hear it when an A/C condenser is running 20 ft away. And a slow running motor and pump will last longer.

Last edited:
Reactions: markayash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.