Need Help- Big Time!

RBCC

Feb 3, 2021
St Louis, MO
Hey Folks-

I’m brand new to the forum and looking for help. I am involved with a neighborhood pool which is run and by a volunteer board. This pool is not a HOA supported pool, members only; so, money is always tight. The pool is approximately 50 years old and holds 200,000 gallons. The filter and pump system has been modified over the years and needs proper replacement. The system utilizes DE grid filters in a water pit for filtration. To start with I’m looking for some information and direction on proper DE grid filter sizing, pump size and capacity and vendors/models of these items. Any and all help would be much appreciated!

Welcome to the forum!
TFPC is for residential, pool owner managed pools. So we are reticent about providing guidance for pools that are considered 'public'. Is your pool managed in accordance with municipal health / environment regulations?
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Marty-

Thanks for your reply. Yes we meet and exceed all required health department inspections and guidelines. Most of my inquiry is centered around the need to reduce the backwashing frequency. The TFP forum main page doesn't indicated that its for residential, pool owner managed pools only. I understand if your not interested in helping.

Best Regards

Even if you’re not required to follow public rules, you should try to follow the guidelines for liability purposes.

Start by going to the environmental-health department that regulates and inspects swimming pools and ask for the requirements for filtration, chemistry and other aspects of operation.

There are requirements for flow rates, number of skimmers, filtration etc.

If you want to post pictures and details of everything, we might be able to provide some advice, but we are not commercial operators and not able to provide any definitive advice.

You really need to get several quotes from local service providers who understand commercial operations.

Ask that the quotes or proposals include the decision logic and engineering behind the recommendations.

Marty-

Thanks for your reply. Yes we meet and exceed all required health department inspections and guidelines. Most of my inquiry is centered around the need to reduce the backwashing frequency. The TFP forum main page doesn't indicated that its for residential, pool owner managed pools only. I understand if your not interested in helping.

Best Regards
Our members will provide you their input, no issue. I just wanted you to be aware that some of those ideas may not be compatible with local health department requirements.

What exact equipment do you currently have?

What is your budget?

Are you doing a full renovation including plaster, tile, coping, decking etc.?

Are you looking to replace the entire filtration system?

How big is the equipment room?

Have you received any proposals yet?

Have you been previously required to have a health department permit and inspections to operate?

What is the current system flow rate?

How many skimmers do you have?

Who will maintain the pool during normal operations?

Do you have pictures of the pool and the filtration system?

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.