Need Help/Advice...

Hello guys,

Just a quick update and question. First, the slamming is starting to work. Today for the first time since filling the pool I could actually start to see the bottom. :whoot: Thanks for all the coaching and help!

Here is my question: My water source was from my well. I have put 2.5 bottles of the stuff that drops the iron and other minerals to the bottom of the pool. I have one half of a bottle of this stuff left. Would it hurt or help to go ahead and add it?

Thanks

Twiles

What stuff are you using for the metals? You should be using a sequestrant that contains the chemicals mentioned in this article... pool-school/metal%20stains Failure to use an effective sequestrant will cause green, yellow, or brown water that is clear. High chlorine or ph levels will shock the metals out of suspension and cause the tint, sequestrants help prevent this, so some of your water color could be because of the metals. Algae produces cloudy water, metals shocked out of suspension cause tinted clear water.

Well twiles, what is the "stuff" and what have you put in dosage wise according to instructions on the package? It sounds
like a flocculant from your description, and if it is that's hard to say. I don't dose anything without a very good idea of what will happen. It's a roll of the dice, but it's up to you. Might be better to hold off. I just can't say with certainty, so I'm reluctant to advise. Sorry to be of no help.

Guys,

Sorry about not having the name of the material in my earlier post. I have added two bottles of GLB Sequa-sol (each bottle is 32oz and treats 20000 gallons of water). I did a second treatment later as I was adding water that consisted of 1.5 qts of Power Quest by Fox Pools. Each bottle treats 20000 gallons. So, the Power Quest is what I was speaking of still have half a bottle of. I guess I was asking since Indiana well water is full of iron and is very hard.

I think I will just stay the course....continuing to slam the pool. I really do not want to mess this up as I have been at slam levels since Sunday.

Twiles

duraleigh,

I came home today to a nice surprise. The pool was even more clear today I could see the bottom. It is still green colored and cloudy but much more clear. So let me know what you think. I checked the chlorine level when I got home and found it at 20. I went ahead and added more bleach to bump it back up.

Let me know if the pic is acceptable. I can take more....

Thanks again for all the help/advice.

Twiles.

Attachments

• Pool 2.jpg
    Pool 2.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 78
Guys,

Came home today and pool water is clear. I have some silt like debris on the bottom of the pool that when I try to vacuum seems to pass right through the filter and comes back in the pool. I am assuming I will have to vacuum to waste in order to get it out unless you guys have another trick. Anyway, I scrubbed the walls down and brushed the floors to stir up the debris and remove as much as I can via the filter.

Should I try to the FC Loss test?

Also, just wondering is there any kind of filter out there designed to supplement a sand filter without changing to a cartridge filter? Or is there a way to improve the sand filters abilities?

Twiles

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just checked the specs on your filter and though I'm by no means an expert on pump/filter systems I think your filter may be undersized for your pool. IF I'm understanding things correctly I believe you should ideally have a filter with about 3.7 sq ft of filtration area while your SD 40 is at 1.8 sq ft. This MIGHT explain why some of the debris you vacuum is returning to the pool. Just tossing out a possibility and will let someone with more knowledge/experience chime in.

duraleigh,

Yes, I can see it. It normally happens after I turn on the pump and last for about 5 seconds or so before clearing up. Regarding SLAM, my water is a beautiful blue now, should I go ahead and try the FC loss test? Your thoughts?

Jeetyet,

Your calculations are correct. It seems the pool company matched the filter up with the pool based on filtration turnover rate vs. using filtration area. For now I am stuck with it. I am going to try and add the DE to the filter for now to see if that will help.

Thanks

Twiles

All,

Completed the FC Loss test last night. Starting FC 22 ending FC 22. Water is crystal blue!

So do I go ahead and add some pH down to the pool to get it to an acceptable level? Are there certain steps I should take in bring the pH down?

Please let me know I would like to get my kids in the pool this weekend and the weather here in Indiana is turning cold.

Thanks for all the help!

Twiles

Good deal twiles!

I don't know what your pH is now, but use the pool calculator to determine how much acid to use. Check the strength on the bottle and enter it in the calculator. If it is liquid, pour it in slowly in front of your return to the pool. Powder, dissolve it in a bucket first and then do the same. Use care, and wear safety glasses. If I adjusted before swim time, I would give it an hour to mix, or I would get in after 20 or so minutes and stir up the pool myself before putting the kids in.

If you pH is less than 8.2 and 7.2 or above, it's fine for swimming. Optimum is generally 7.4-7.6 for eye comfort. Let them enjoy it today and adjust this evening.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the information!

Brushpup - will do! Using the calculator now to determine how much acid to use.

duraleigh - I think I was making a mistake during the rinse cycle not letting it run long enough. I have since let it run a minute or so longer once the site glass is clear and the problem has went away.

Current Numbers
FC = 16
CYA = 50
SC = 1800
TA = 270
CH = 300

Is it ok to add the muriatic acid, put the CYA back in by the return, and salt at the same time?

Your thoughts?

Thanks

Twiles

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.