Need Heat pump and automation recommendations please

daverph

Oct 23, 2018
Hilton Head Island, SC
I want to add a heat pump to my 14 x 28 IG pool on Hilton Head Island SC. My equipment pad is in the garage about 120’ from the pool, so I’m looking for maximum BTU and also a chiller to lower pool temp in July & August. We rent our home out when we aren’t able to be there, so I’m looking for a simple effective automation system to integrate the Pentair SuperFlo VS 342001 to control the pump speeds when heating the water. I will be getting an insulated cover to use when renters are not there, but it will be taken off when it is rented.

Which heat pump brand do you all recommend for efficiency, reliability and waranty? My pool service company recommends Rheem, another recommends Gulf Stream. Do I need to get a Pentair heat pump to make the integration for automation easier? Does anyone make a heat pump with wifi remote access built in?

A property management company takes care of the place when we’re not there, and our pool techs seem to turn over frequently, so I’d like to be able to control or monitor everything remotely if possible to make sure everything runs smoothly and efficiently. If remote control isn’t possible, then at least simple on site control would be useful.

Who makes the best simple automation that will work with my pump? I don’t have any water features, SWCG, lights to automate, although I may need to control bypass valves. One installer wants to put a heater bypass in, another says its not necessary. Any opinions on this would be helpful.

Thanks for any information, and thanks for all the education I’ve gained here since I bought our home with our first pool in June ’18. I would have been lost without Pool School, Pool Math, and the forums.

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Welcome to TFP.

Unfortunately the Pentair SuperFlo VS 342001 cannot be controlled by an automation panel. You need to have a Pentair Intelliflo pump.

To really achieve what you want you need to have the automation, pump, and heater all from the same company. You can have basic heater temperature control using the Firemans switch mixing heater and automation vendors. But you may not be able to remotely switch between HEAT and COOL on the heater.

I think you need to consider the Pentair Easy Touch with Screen Logic or IntelliCenter Automation; Intelliflo VS 011028 pump, and Pentair Ultratemp 140 H/C Heat Pump. That will all integrate together nicely. You can come up with similar configurations from Jandy or Hayward.

daverph

Oct 23, 2018
Hilton Head Island, SC
Thanks for your reply and the recommendations.

In the pump manual :
"Control with External Control and Digital Inputs
The user can run the SuperFlo® VS Variable Speed Pump with automation external controls, allowing all four programmed Speeds to be controlled remotely. The pump has a sealed connector that can be used with Pentair External Control Wiring Kit (Pentair P/N 353129Z) to run the Speeds using digital input signals. When there is an external low voltage signal present on the Speed Digital Input line, the pump will run the speed programmed for that Digital Input. The supplied +5V signal is the recommended input used for external control and Speed Digital Inputs."

So this pump doesn't work with any automation, or heat pump? A previous thread Pentair Variable Speed Pump with Pool Heat Pump seems to indicate that it can be done, is there something else that I would need to make it work besides the external control wiring kit?

If it makes any difference I use a Smartthings hub to control home automation, and would be willing to pay someone who could come up with a raspberry pi controller that would let me control the speeds and heat pump :)

Anyone else have recommendations for heat pump, and opinions on whether I need a bypass for it?

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Well if you want to hack something together you have more options.

The Pentair External Control Wiring Kit lets you trigger set speeds on the Superflo pump using relays. You can use Aux relays in an automation panel to trigger the VS pump speeds. That is not going to give you the level of pump status and speed control that an IntelliFlo pump connected to automation would.

Anyone else have recommendations for heat pump, and opinions on whether I need a bypass for it?
Whether you need a bypass for a heat pump depends on the HP and whether it has an internal bypass or if it has maximum flow rates.