Need Hayward T-cell-15 replacement...

Dec 10, 2018
Birmingham, AL
So turns out I need a new salt cell. I inherited a Hayward T-cell-15 when we bought the house last fall and evidently it went bad over the winter. Should I just replace with the same cell and spend about $600 or go with the Inyo Pools “generic” Pureline cell for $400?

Did a quick search and couldn’t find a whole lot of info about the Pureline replacement cells. The amazon reviews appear that it is a nightmare to file a warranty claim if a Hayward is bought online and my local pool stores want $750-$800 so that’s out of the question.

There have been reports that 3rd party cells have not lasted as long. I got one and it is having some issues in less than 1 year. Sticking with Hayward is a safe bet; although I would expect INYO to stand behind whatever warranty they are offering.

Salinity is right around 3200-3400 tested with my Taylor kit and from my local pool store. The Aquarite controller will only read 1500-1700 no matter if I reset or recalibrate so the check cell/low salt light is always on and thus won’t generate. I’m on vacation right now so don’t have access to the diagnostics but I did have the cell tested before I left and it failed. Right now I’m using liquid chlorine until I can get it up and running.

And this is a new fill up because we had the liner replaced so the salt cell hasn’t worked since last fall. Not sure how it just fails over the winter but it appears it may have. I was stupid and left it out (I am pretty confident previous homeowners did too) over the winter so that could be the culprit.

Alright, I’m back from vacation so here are my diagnostics and the serial number from the cell. I’m just going to guess the diagnostics zeros are not a good thing...

1700 (tested at 3400)
65P
AL-0
R 1.59
T-15

The salt cell serial number is 3E1008-2028683

Move the switch to off for a minute and then back on and immediately go to the instant salinity and watch what it does.

It should start high and scroll down to a stable number before going back to zero.

Let's see what the stable number is.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would say that the cell is bad. I would suggest an original Hayward T-15 over a generic but some people like the generic.

The percentage setting on the dial should match pretty close to the digital readout, but it's usually not exact. +/- about 5% is typical. More than 5% indicates that the dial might be beginning to fail.

Go to the digital % and rotate the dial to see if it moves smoothly or erratically.

New Hayward cell is on order from Amazon and will be here tomorrow. As far as the dial...the numbers move smoothly as I rotate it so it appears to be working correctly. I guess I'll just need to remember I'm 10-15 percentage points off when I set it. I assume the diagnostic screen is what I should go by and not the dial?

Go by the diagnostic readings.

I never had a problem with getting a cell replaced that was bought online and using the warranty to replace the Hayward cells. Register the cell with Hayward's warranty department when you get the cell. I have an authorized Hayward rep near me that I have replaced 2 cells under warranty.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.