Need drop in pool light suggestions

Dec 10, 2018
Birmingham, AL
Our pool light (probably 20+ years old) never worked in the 8 months we've owned our house. When we had the pool liner replaced we removed the light and covered the niche up because it was going to take jackhammering concrete to get a replacement. So....what are your suggestions for lights that we can add on the wall, floor, or steps that will be sufficient for a little ambience in the evenings? I know nothing is going to replace a built in pool light but just trying to find a remotely adequate replacement.

There was a thread recently for something out of Europe. I think the OP was going to buy one.

Have you tried the Search function? Select G for the best results.

I think a safe, bright, made-for-swmming-pools light that is not dedicated is going to be hard to find. Why do you think you would need jackhammering concrete to replace the old light?
I know, I think you are right. Just wishful thinking on my part but was hoping technology had advanced enough that there was something out there.

My pool liner guy, who has been doing pool work for 40 years, looked over the pool light and niche thoroughly when he had the liner down and said it was in terrible condition (rusted, etc..) and that getting a new light in there would be next to impossible. I trust his opinion and the new liner is in so no going back until the liner gets replaced again. He knew that I really, really wanted to replace it but he strongly suggested just covering it up so we did.

So there are some large floating pool lights on Amazon that don’t disco or anything strange, just downward lighting. I got one for about 75. I think it was Challenger brand but I saw others recently called Blue Wave or Blue water maybe. If you have no other option it at least works.

Is the old light/niche still there with a bulge in the liner or what was done? I was told I couldn’t replace stuff without tearing a lot up. I am determined to prove that guy wrong this summer.

Found one like mine: Ocean Blue AquaLight Floating Pool Light, Blue Amazon.com : Ocean Blue AquaLight Floating Pool Light, Blue : Swimming Pool Lighting Products : Garden & Outdoor

Last edited:
He removed the light and put some kind of foam to fill the niche so it had support behind the liner. Can’t tell that there used to be a light behind it.

I ordered an above ground LED pool light to see if I could find a way to hang it but it’s too short. It puts off enough light but concrete/coping and water line are too deep for the particular light I bought. I’ll check out the floating lights on Amazon.

He knew that I really, really wanted to replace it but he strongly suggested just covering it up so we did.

That's most likely because he's not a particularly good pool guy - rather limited in what he can do. It's not that difficult a job to cut out the old nich and replace it. The hardest part is usually fishing the cable through the conduit. However, you've got to give him some credit for knowing his limitations.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.