Need better flow valves

MalcolmV8

Jun 7, 2020
Tampa, FL
Hey Guys, I got this pool with the house and really need to improve the the flow valves. These look like standard valves from Lowes or Home Depot and they'e all broken and so incredibly hard to turn. You have to get a massive set of plumbers pliers on them and fight them like the incredible hulk to get them to budge. It takes so much force I'm afraid something's going to snap off or break and as a result I barely touch them. To make it worse the valves are tucked on the inside under bends etc. so access is terrible. It would be OK if they were smooth turning and work properly.

Also they are so close to the ground once cut off you don't have a lot of room to work with. I do need to get these replaced and something better in place. What options are out there? I need to replace these with something better.

I'm guessing some of these joints had some leaks or something as a few of them are taped up and goop'd on the outside with something. That needs to be repaired properly.

It also seems like a good opportunity to add a valve to pump water out the pool should I ever need to do repairs or something else. Right now there's no way to get water out the pool unless you siphon with a garden hose or something.

Thanks for any ideas

IMG_1727.jpg

IMG_1728.jpg

IMG_1729.jpg

IMG_1730.jpg

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
That is what ball valves do and why we don’t recommend using them. Have them replaced with diverter valves.

I suggest you put in a much larger cartridge filter when you replumb your pad.

MalcolmV8

Jun 7, 2020
Tampa, FL
That is what ball valves do and why we don’t recommend using them. Have them replaced with diverter valves.

I suggest you put in a much larger cartridge filter when you replumb your pad.
I had found these type ball valves that look like once you PVC weld the ends you can swap out the valve with orings and threads. So if they go bad over time it should be an easy swap but if that's the nature of ball valves and they'll always do that then I'd rather find something else.

Curious, why do you say the cartridge filter is not big enough?

If your valves are difficult to turn, I'd make something like this out of wood.

View attachment 148573
Unfortunately they're so far gone they're beyond that. The amount of force needed is breaking the plastic to pieces.