Need advice

Lemonaidegirl

Apr 22, 2019
Florida
Hello! I’m new to pool ownership and to this forum and I need some help. I have an above ground 4,400 gallon intex pool. We set it up at the end of May and all was perfect until the past 3 weeks. Between rain and a dust storm my pool is now cloudy with some algae. I say some because the water isn’t really green but the filter is and when I brush I see some sediment but it’s more of a brown color.
I’ve tried to shock it twice (last week) and I resorted to clarifier (5 days ago) and running the filter 24/7. I also brush and vacuum everyday but it’s not helping. I’ve read all the advice and pool school info but I’m still not sure what to do.
I’m on a tight budget and unfortunately don’t have a great test kit. So, I went to Leslie’s to get my water tested and here are the numbers.
FAC - 9
TAC -9
Calcium - 310
CYA - 110
TA - 100
PH - 8.5
Acid demand - 3
I started out using store bought basic bleach and a stabilizer but switched to 3 in. tablets in a floater because it wasn’t holding the chlorine. I’m sure that’s why my CYA skyrocketed! The guy at the pool store recommends that I use 2 bags of shock every 12 hours for 36 hours and then clean the filter 12 after the last shock. That seems like a lot to me for a smaller pool. I know I’m probably doing this all wrong but if I could get some advice that would be great.

Reactions: PoolGate
You may be better off with dumping the water (due to algae outbreak and high cya levels) and starting over with a test kit and reading the ABCs of pool water chemistry.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.