Need advice

Lemonaidegirl

Apr 22, 2019
Florida
Hello! I’m new to pool ownership and to this forum and I need some help. I have an above ground 4,400 gallon intex pool. We set it up at the end of May and all was perfect until the past 3 weeks. Between rain and a dust storm my pool is now cloudy with some algae. I say some because the water isn’t really green but the filter is and when I brush I see some sediment but it’s more of a brown color.
I’ve tried to shock it twice (last week) and I resorted to clarifier (5 days ago) and running the filter 24/7. I also brush and vacuum everyday but it’s not helping. I’ve read all the advice and pool school info but I’m still not sure what to do.
I’m on a tight budget and unfortunately don’t have a great test kit. So, I went to Leslie’s to get my water tested and here are the numbers.
FAC - 9
TAC -9
Calcium - 310
CYA - 110
TA - 100
PH - 8.5
Acid demand - 3
I started out using store bought basic bleach and a stabilizer but switched to 3 in. tablets in a floater because it wasn’t holding the chlorine. I’m sure that’s why my CYA skyrocketed! The guy at the pool store recommends that I use 2 bags of shock every 12 hours for 36 hours and then clean the filter 12 after the last shock. That seems like a lot to me for a smaller pool. I know I’m probably doing this all wrong but if I could get some advice that would be great.

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Reactions: PoolGate

Casey

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 16, 2007
SW PA
You may be better off with dumping the water (due to algae outbreak and high cya levels) and starting over with a test kit and reading the ABCs of pool water chemistry.