Soximus

Sep 28, 2020
Connecticut
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello! New pool owner here. I've been reading up on how to winterize AGP's and I think I've got it figured out... except for one major piece: The cover. I've included a link to an imgur album that shows my predicament and attached the photos as well if that's easier for folks.

As you can see, it'll be impossible to drape the cover over the edge of the pool that abuts the deck. However, I *think* I could get a cable around 100% of the outside of the pool (in order to cable/winch down the 3/4 of the cover that won't have deck next to it).

Has anyone found a good solution to a similar situation? I was surprised that googling this issue didn't return many good ideas! Right now I'm thinking of doing typical cover with winch and wire around the part of the pool with no deck, and then anchoring the left over cover to the 2x4's on the deck fence (via ratchet straps/ropes through the free grommets on the cover). The part of the cover that can't go over the edge of the pool would be pulled taught and laying on the surface of the deck. However I'm not sure this will be effective at keeping out wind and precip, and it will definitely look hideous. Would I also need to pile sandbags on the decked portion of the cover to have any shot at this working??

Another idea would be to go without a cover, but that seems against every piece of advice I've read thus far...

Attachments

• IMG_9210.JPG
    IMG_9210.JPG
    337.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_9209.JPG
    IMG_9209.JPG
    770.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_9208.JPG
    IMG_9208.JPG
    763.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_9207.JPG
    IMG_9207.JPG
    651.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_9206.JPG
    IMG_9206.JPG
    787.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_9205.JPG
    IMG_9205.JPG
    444.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_9204.JPG
    IMG_9204.JPG
    329.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_9203.JPG
    IMG_9203.JPG
    323.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_9202.JPG
    IMG_9202.JPG
    819.6 KB · Views: 16
Is that foam? Can u remove it & feed the cover in there? I have a deck 1/2 way around my 33ft pool & there’s a small gap that i can get the cover in w/ a little persuasion of the top rails in places
E978895E-DEAD-4F96-9953-03D3C277C901.jpeg
i just carefully wedge it all the way around then once its in it kinda moves more freely so i can get it where i want before I tighten the cable. I am also very adamant about keeping water pumped off the cover
B4E73BA0-43D5-4B34-BBC5-C80C184B8D86.jpeg

Is that foam? Can u remove it & feed the cover in there? I have a deck 1/2 way around my 33ft pool & there’s a small gap that i can get the cover in w/ a little persuasion of the top rails in places

i just carefully wedge it all the way around then once its in it kinda moves more freely so i can get it where i want before I tighten the cable. I am also very adamant about keeping water pumped off the cover

Removing the foam was my first thought as well. It seemed pretty tightly wedged in there! Although now that you've got me thinking about it again... Maybe the work/annoyance of replacing those foam pieces in the spring is worth it, if it means getting he cover on correctly?

Reactions: Mdragger88
I run the cable under the deck. I tie the cover to the uprights on the fencing around the deck. My steps are old and have 2 weighted steps that sit in/on my wedding cake steps. I use these as ballast to hold down the cover. Tarp below the cover to shield the rug. Finally tie my steps in the corner, down to the deck and tight into the corner.

I run the cable under the deck. I tie the cover to the uprights on the fencing around the deck. My steps are old and have 2 weighted steps that sit in/on my wedding cake steps. I use these as ballast to hold down the cover. Tarp below the cover to shield the rug. Finally tie my steps in the corner, down to the deck and tight into the corner.
Thanks, this is really helpful! Does rain/snow get into the pool by collecting on the lighter-blue tarp on the deck and sliding underneath the cover? Or... maybe that's no big deal / doesn't matter?

From underneath you may be able to push up on the decking and slide the foam out, or maybe even slide the cover underneath the foam? Mine is very tight as well, but there is a little wiggle room to kind of muscle enough of a gap for that very thin cover to fit through.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.