Need Advice - Pool build almost done, close or swim?

Ldymtrow

Aug 2, 2019
Alexandria VA
We are about a week/week and a half from our vinyl pool build being completed. We live in Northern VA and the temps are supposed to be in the mid to high 80s into next week. We installed a gas heater as well and I can’t decide if we should just winterize the pool once it’s done and not fill it to swim or should we take advantage of swimming through October? Not sure if it will be more of a hassle to fill it,’heat it and only swim a few times.

I was on a similar timetable when ours was built, and I’m about 30 mi south of you. I couldn’t look at it and NOT get in it. I think we swam maybe 2-3 days before closing it down in early Nov. As a side note, my heater is propane fueled and it costs me roughly $100/day to use it.

Realistically, it will be too cold but it's only money to heat it! Your fill water will probably be in the 60s at best so you are looking at heating it 25 degrees at least. Couple hundred bucks and you'll be golden! Don't forget the unintended problems with heating your pool being that you need to wait for the water to drop below 60 to close. Not a huge deal but will add a couple weeks to your closing schedule.

My family would do both. I would winterize it off the bat, but not before we jumped in for a couple of polar bear swims. With a brand new pool and having watched the construction, neither me or my kids would care how cold it was. **blue lips** 'We're SSSSS-SSSSS-SSSSS-WIMMING!!!!!!!'

If you have natural gas, it should cost that much. I usually figure 1 degree per hour for our 15,000 gal pool and $2 per hour for a 250,000 BTU heater. So you're looking at about 50 bucks to heat it up if you use a solar cover. Figure another 10 bucks a day to keep it heated.

After waiting for construction you need at least 1 good swim for the family!

Consider the heating bill a luxury outing for everyone who swims that day

It will also be your test run to see what the cost is and whether it is worth it

im getting plaster today and I will definitely go in even if its just me.... After going through the entire build process and all the stresses I will feel relieved going into that pool and to be honest I dont care how cold it will be :ROFLMAO:... We do however have a SPA and once I can turn on the heater, i need to wait 30 days due to the plaster dust settling in order to turn it on... I will probably use that before closing it down in November.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.