Need a cheap, reliable, easy way to drain of top of pool.

Apr 21, 2010
Ideas?

Our pool will fill from time-to-time with rainwater over the winter. The drainpipes and dedicated pump are not in use at this time so the only way to get the water out is to pump it out somehow from the top. I have a sump-type pump
TSC_200.jpg
that I can put into the pool but (a) it uses a lot of electricity, (b) I have to remember to turn it on, turn it off and (c) it means that I have to run electrical equipment out to the pool, etc, remove a portion of the safety cover, etc..

I have a quick solution, I think, but I need help with the initial pumping portion of it.

I'd like to lay a hose into a skimmer to the depth that I need to drain to. I think, right(?), that if I can get the drain-end of that hose away from the pool into a drain deeper than the level that I want to drain to, that if I get the water transfer started it will drain on it's own until it's hit the hose depth in the pool.

Can anybody think of a way of getting that water flow started without an expensive pump? Is there a simple water pump that I can use to essentially just prime the flow and then let gravity take over? I have an option of running the hose to a nearby pool house and back out (putting the "flow starter" in the pool house near electricity, etc.

Thoughts? Does this make any sense? :lol:

I put the hose in the skimmer, connect the other end to the faucet, turn the faucet on to fill the hose, then disconnect from the faucet and drag the hose down the hill. It runs until the skimmer is empty, then stops on its own. Simple but effective, just like me.

JohnT said:
I put the hose in the skimmer, connect the other end to the faucet, turn the faucet on to fill the hose, then disconnect from the faucet and drag the hose down the hill. It runs until the skimmer is empty, then stops on its own. Simple but effective, just like me.

I've considered that - problem is that I typically turn off the outside faucets (from the inside) over the winter since one froze and busted on me one winter - even with the anti-freeze spilgot setups.

I wonder if something like this would work..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 602_304652

That bilge pump looks like it would do exactly what you want to do. As I remember it will siphon through once the water flow is started. You just need to make sure it's at a higher elevation so it drains competely when the hose breaks siphon.

Johnl said:
Why not just buy a pool cover pump. They shut on and off automatically.
http://www.amazon.com/Rule-H53SP-24-Mar ... B000O8F71U

If you don't cover your pool in the winter, just put it on the top step or the step closest to the point where you want to keep the water line. I have a hard cover and use this pump with no issues.

No stairs in my pool. :)

I'm starting to wonder if a simple siphon and some tubes would work.

Hi,
Might be a bit late but I am not sure you need to pump anything out.
I have owned an IG pool in Montreal for over 10 years. The whole thing freezes solid usually by early to mid december.
I do the same every year...lower the level a few inches below the skimmer and jets and block the openings with 1-1/2 screw caps, disconnect the lines so they empty and just forget about it. The pool usually fills up with snow and ice over the course of winter, some years several feet higher than the pool.
In the spring when it melts down it is usually full to the top.
I have never had any problem or damage.
I think we are told to lower the water level so its possible to drain the lines and plug them and to avoid pool water to freeze in the skimmer but I don't think one has to keep the level below that point for the whole winter.
Hope this helps...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would do the cover pump. But if you really gotta siphon, get a $2 plastic garden hose valve at the HW store. Put it on the hose, open it, and put the whole thing in the pool until it floods--shorter hose is better, like 15'. Close valve while under water. Pull valve out of pool and run to low place. More hose out and less in is better. Open valve and siphon will start. Adjust other end of hose to desired level. You can do it with your hand if your good and skip the valve.

PanamEric said:
I think we are told to lower the water level so its possible to drain the lines and plug them and to avoid pool water to freeze in the skimmer but I don't think one has to keep the level below that point for the whole winter.

It's my understanding that you don't want the water level to reach the tiles and then freeze solid as it could crack the tiles. If you don't have tiles, then you may be correct.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.