Need a better vacuum

Jul 15, 2016
Clark, NJ
We have an 18" coleman metal frame pool with an Intex sand filter. We do not have a skimmer, but would be willing to install one. Two intake valves and one outlet. We are looking for a better way to vacuum the fine debris off the bottom of the pool. I have a stand alone pump that came with the pool thats not in use as well. Any suggestion is helpful.

Thanks in advance,

I've searched around and found some old posts, I just got an adapter for a brush vacuum, but after about 2 minutes of vacuuming, I lose suction and have to backwash the filter again. Its fairly annoying. I have a skimmer I need to install, but I have two intakes, but are fairly low on the side of the pool. I'd need to install another 2 to 1 adapter inline to use the skimmer. I want to put valves on my stock intakes, and I'll probably use the 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" adapters to make that happen. then I'll need a ball valve under the skimmer with a 1 1/2" connection. So when I vacuum, I can shut off the below water intakes and use the skimmer to vacuum. Wonder if I can just block off one of those below water intakes and use the skimmer and one intake after installing it? I guess I need to search a bit more.

ResQ

The problem seems more likely related to your filter capacity. If you lose suction when vacuuming and need to backwash soon after starting, then all vacuuming systems that send the water to the filter will suffer the same issue. If you add the skimmer I assume the valves would be used to isolate it and allow the use of only one return to maximize suction, but the cloging problem will remain. The debris volume would drop some since you would catch some before it sinks.
The pool blaster idea seems like an option to explore, or a pressure side cleaner made for that size pump/hose to avoid sending debris into the filter.

Last edited:
I have a fairly decent sand filter and pump, its not the stock pump/filter that came with the pool. I'll look into the Pool Blaster, but thats likely on the expensive side. I might have to bite the bullet and install the skimmer sooner than later (water is cold). I think the start up of the pool was partly to blame for the rising pressures in the filter. Its running well now, but the sediment keeps precipitating out and looks awful on the bottom of the pool. Thanks everyone.

I have a fairly decent sand filter and pump, its not the stock pump/filter that came with the pool. I'll look into the Pool Blaster, but thats likely on the expensive side. I might have to bite the bullet and install the skimmer sooner than later (water is cold). I think the start up of the pool was partly to blame for the rising pressures in the filter. Its running well now, but the sediment keeps precipitating out and looks awful on the bottom of the pool. Thanks everyone.
Does your filter permit vacuuming to waste? This mode dumps water through the backwash hose while vacuuming so it doesn't clog the filter. It does use more water since you need to refill.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.