Need a backwash solution

May 22, 2011
My neighbor doesn't like me to backwash next to his side so I need to figure out how to get the water to the other side of the yard.

The flat hose is awful, mostly because it won't make the turns. I was using a (too short) rigid vacuum hose, but it doesn't seem like the fittings will last. But otherwise, it made the turn around the corner well.

I saw the fire hose idea, but will it make turns? Or will it just want to straighten out like the flat rubber hoses do?

Where does everyone else back wash their pool to?

My neighbor doesn't like me to backwash next to his side so I need to figure out how to get the water to the other side of the yard.

The flat hose is awful, mostly because it won't make the turns. I was using a (too short) rigid vacuum hose, but it doesn't seem like the fittings will last. But otherwise, it made the turn around the corner well.

I saw the fire hose idea, but will it make turns? Or will it just want to straighten out like the flat rubber hoses do?

Where does everyone else back wash their pool to?

I drain water to the street, that is allowed in my area. But that is because the area near the pool is lower than the rest of the yard and I don't want water collecting near the pump pad area making a gooey mess. I don't have an elegant solution and use a combination of cheap flat hose and the vacuum hose. A firehose is a type of flat hose, but typically a much better quality. It will still have the bending/straightening issue.

Now for the not so PC answer... where is the water going now? On your property or his? if it is on your property, then I say tough nuts to the neighbor. how much harm are you causing him if it is on your property? Just because he doesn't like it, doesn't mean you need to change how you do it. If it drains to his yard, then I think it would be responsible to drain it to a more suitable location.

It was going into the side yard between our houses (mostly my side) but he was mad I was watering his bushes (I don't actually backwash that much). So then I used the vacuum hose to the back chain link fence and it was going into the alley. But it overflowed into his yard a bit tonight because I had to backwash 3 times today (he cut down some bushes and made a mess which blew in my pool).

I think I might try buying a longer vacuum hose, or try PVC for the first right angle, then see if I can get away with the flat hose for the rest to the grass.

I have a sewer cleanout in the cool deck, but after reading here, I'm concerned it would be too much for my 50 year old house. I think the grass is my best bet.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.